News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz

• Replies 2.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Gents,

Many thanks for the warm welcome. Sorry I've been so quiet... but the last few days have been a bit "nuts" shall we say. ;)

I wholeheartedly agree with Christian that not only the Heroines book but the Heroes as well are both fantastic and well worth adding to ones reference library. I will say though that I had to look elsewhere for a few tidbits... such as her maiden name. But the books have great photos, terrific stories of heroism and are just a must have for anyone intro'd in Soviet awards or history.

Now, on to a question... methinks I'm going to need a bit more time as since it's considered an important question I'm going to have to come up with something good. Let me ponder just a bit longer and I'll do my best to come up with something appropriate.

Thanks! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Hi Dan,

Actually there was one little bit of info that I failed to highlight.... but I will do so for completeness sake.

For her actions and bravery in attempting to repair the tank when under enemy fire, she was actually awarded an OGPW 1st class.

Apparantly this award was not considered sufficient for a) her brave action, and b) her reputation (she was also being used for propoganda purposes by the Soviets). She was therefore posthumously awarded the HSU title a few months later.

Jim :cheers:

Hi Dan,

Actually there was one little bit of info that I failed to highlight.... but I will do so for completeness sake.

For her actions and bravery in attempting to repair the tank when under enemy fire, she was actually awarded an OGPW 1st class.

Apparantly this award was not considered sufficient for a) her brave action, and b) her reputation (she was also being used for propoganda purposes by the Soviets). She was therefore posthumously awarded the HSU title a few months later.

Hi Jim,

Many thanks for that! Definitely new info and not covered in Henry's book. So did she get the OGPW 1st as well as the HSU or just the HSU? :unsure:

Hi Jim,

Many thanks for that! Definitely new info and not covered in Henry's book. So did she get the OGPW 1st as well as the HSU or just the HSU? :unsure:

MMM....I was hoping you'd confirm this with your book :rolleyes:

I am attaching the link where I found her maiden surname (not that easy to find online!) and the info about the OGPW 1.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/show...ad.php?p=582631

Whereas the chap who translated them says there are differences in the stories told, he does say that they have common parts. Of course I hoped your book would confirm this. But apparantly not the case. Maybe someone having the HSU books can check it out and confirm this information?

Thanks,

Hi Dan,

Your turn, now, to post a question... :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.

Hi Christophe,

I know... still trying to come up with a good one. And been a heavy week at work and home so haven't had as much time to think about it as I would have liked.

Give me just a bit longer and if I can't come up with something I'll be happy to pass it along as I don't want to hold things up much longer. :unsure:

Thanks, :beer:

Hi Christophe,

I know... still trying to come up with a good one. And been a heavy week at work and home so haven't had as much time to think about it as I would have liked.

Give me just a bit longer and if I can't come up with something I'll be happy to pass it along as I don't want to hold things up much longer. :unsure:

Thanks, :beer:

Hi Dan,

We'll wait for your question. Take the time you need. No pb... :beer:

Cheers.

Ch.

:jumping:POSTING # 1.000 :jumping:

Gentlemen,

I just want to announce my promoting to the honourable rank of a GMIC-"senior member" here at the famous quiz-thread via fullfilling the benchmark of 1.000 postings :D .

I also want to ask Dan again to give the question # 99 to the waiting community - many thanks :cheers: .

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Congrats!

Whilst we're waiting, here's a question I would like the answer to (as opposed to a quiz!) Does anyone know which Soviet awards President Lukashenko of Belarus won whilst in the Army and KGB frontier troops?

Congrats!

Whilst we're waiting, here's a question I would like the answer to (as opposed to a quiz!) Does anyone know which Soviet awards President Lukashenko of Belarus won whilst in the Army and KGB frontier troops?

Dear Belaruski,

many thanks for your congratulations :cheers: .

A truly interesting question ;) .

I may bet, that he got more awards, than "Czar" Putin :P .

Maybe we shall send an e-mail to the presidential chancellery :unsure: ?

Could you do this for us :love: ?

Ask them also for some nice photographs showing comrade Lukashenko in his KGB-uniform.

Christian

Gentleman,

Many apologies for the delay on question #99. :blush: It's been one of those months! I've had a ton of scans and pics to do and therefore things to post... but that's all been on the back burner as well. My eyes have also been giving me fits, especially when viewing computer screens... which is not good as much of what I do including my job involve doing just that. :(

Things have eased up a bit today so here we go. This is actually going to be two questions in one (hope this is okay... :unsure: but figured a bonus was called for due to the delay. Both of these subjects have been of interest to me for many, many years. I hope they're not too easy... I'm new to the quiz and you guys do seem to be really good at this. But I hope this gives a bit of entertainment. :D

Question one:

Who is this man? Where is he from? What did he do to gain fame? Where is he now?

Question two:

Who is this man? Where is he from? What did he do to gain fame? Where is he now? What does it say on his business card?

Have fun and good luck! :beer:

Edited by Hauptman

. . . and then wait to see what decision is made on your next visa application . . . .

Dear Ed,

I don't see such a request as a "drama" ;) .

Belarus is interested to see their president in a positive way in the medias - and what's wrong to have a thread about the military merits of the President of Belarus :unsure: ?

Christian

Dear Dan,

thanks for your question :cheers: .

These are two different persons and two different questions with no connex to each other :unsure: ?

Is it right, that the two persons are US-citizens :unsure: ?

Christian

Hi Christian,

You are correct... they have no connection to each other.

You are also correct... they are and have for some time been U.S. citizens.

:P

When I was searching for a previous answer I'm sure I came accross the second man. either a pilot or KGB defector..

Hi Belaruski,

The second man is a pilot... and was a defector, so you are right on those... but he was definitely not KGB. :cheers:

So you're getting really close. :jumping: