News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz

REPLY NO. 1.000

Congratulations to our breaking of the 1.000-replies-barrier :jumping:

No other thread at GMIC has 4-digit-replies A N D 5-digit-views

As the T-34 had been the best tank in WW II, we are the best thread at GMIC ;) .

Dear Christophe,

no discussion, who the winner is:

You answered 2 questions and I only answered 1 question - you are the winner!

You have the honour to post the first question in the new 4-digit-replies-era :D .

Best regards :beer:

Christian

• Replies 2.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Normally, It's up to Auke to decide who is the winner or not... :rolleyes:

Auke, please, feel free to give the victory to the one you really think deserves it. :beer:

But, as I will have to leave soon, here is my question, the 86th one :

Question #86 :

1. Who is the Soviet officer who got the biggest number of Orders ?

I don't include here Titles (HSU, HSL... even if he got some), but only Orders ?

2. How many Orders in total did he get ?

3. What is the list of these ?

The winner will be the one who gives his name, number of Orders and the complete list!!!!! :rolleyes:

Good hunt and good luck!!

Cheers.

Ch.

Of course you were both right. Christophe was first and had two correct answers, but Christian had Chuikov, which was the name I was looking for. Let's give Christophe the honor to post the next question. (EDIT: What he already did while I was typing :D)

And yes, Rodina Mat is a truly magnificent creation, well worth a jubilee question in this topic :beer:

Auke

Edited by Ferdinand

Frankly, questions 1 and 2 were easy (as you told us...). The 3rd one was more "subtile"... Consequently, Christian should have been the winner... but this gave me an opportunity to increase my "score", as Christian seem to take a strong lead :rolleyes::P:D ...

I have already posted my question : let's play!!!!

Cheers.

Ch.

Question #86 :

1. Who is the Soviet officer who got the biggest number of Orders ?

I don't include here Titles (HSU, HSL... even if he got some), but only Orders ?

The winner will be the one who gives his name, number of Orders and the complete list!!!!! :rolleyes:

Good hunt and good luck!!

Cheers.

Ch.

Dear Christophe,

if foreign orders shall count, than the person will be without doubt Marshal Brezhnev ;) .

If you reduce it to pure Soviet Orders, than Marshal Ustinov http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmitry_Ustinov might be the person - 11 Lenins, etc., etc. - or another officer, who came from the sphere of economy & production AND got some orders during the GPW.

So, only Soviet Orders or also foreign orders :unsure: ?

Christian

Christian,

Your point is valid. I did not precise I was talking of Soviet Orders only !!!! Sorry for typing too fastly my question. :blush:

Here is the question re-formulated :

Question #86 :

1. Who is the Soviet officer who got the biggest number of Soviet Orders ?

I don't include here Titles (HSU, HSL... even if he got some), but only Soviet Orders (not foreign ones).

The winner will be the one who gives his name, number of Orders and the complete list!!!!!

And, BTW, it is neither Ustinov nor Brezhnev...

Cheers.

Ch.

Difficult question # 86 :(

Dear Christophe,

if it is not Ustinov, other "real" officers & heros will also have no chance, like:

Pokryshkin, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksandr_Ivanovich_Pokryshkin , the greatest fighter-ace of all times (and wars), first 3x HSU in Soviet history, etc., etc. He got:

4x Lenin

1x Octoberrevulotion

4x RB

2x Suvorov 2cl

1x OPW 1cl (1985)

2x RS

= 14 Soviet Orders

Kozhedub, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Nikitovich_Kozhedub , the highest scoring Allied fighter-ace of WW II, also 3x HSU. He got:

2x Lenin

7x RB

1x Nevsky

1x OPW 1cl

1x OPW 1cl (1985)

2x RS

= 14 Soviet Orders

So, I still assume, that the person in question had been a manager in the sphere of production, who got an military rank during the GPW + his basic orders, like several Lenins, Suvorovs, Kutuzovs, etc. AND made a brilliant career after the war with additional Lenins, etc. - somebody like Ustinov ;) .

Christian

Edited by Christian Zulus

Yakovlev :unsure:?

Dear Christophe,

maybe aircraft-designer Yakovlev http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Sergeevich_Yakovlev , who promoted 1946 to the rank of a Col.-General :unsure: ?

Besides 2x HSL + 8 Stalin/State/Lenin-Prizes :speechless1: he got:

10x Lenin

1x Octoberrevolution

2x RB

1x Suvorov 1cl

1x Suvorov 2cl

1x RBL

2x OPW 1cl

1x RS

= 19 Soviet Orders :jumping:

Christian

Hi Christian,

Nice try... but not them.

What I can tell you, if it helps, is that the Soviet officer who got the second biggest number of Soviet Orders is Marshal K.S. Moskalenko, with 20 Orders.

So, who is the first one, with more than 20 Soviet Orders ? :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.

Dear Christophe,

some month ago I read the memoirs of Moskalenko http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirill_Moskalenko , but he didn't list his awards in an appendix :( . I regard Marshal Moskalenko as one of the greatest generals in the GPW :D .

O.K.:

Yakovlev - 19 orders

Moskalenko - 20 orders

Comrade XYZ - 21 orders

So, shall we look after the great field-generals of the GPW :unsure: ?

Christian

BTW: Comrade Yakovlev had been rather close and would have been the winner, if you take titles & prizes into account ;) .

(...)

So, shall we look after the great field-generals of the GPW :unsure: ?

Christian

BTW: Comrade Yakovlev had been rather close and would have been the winner, if you take titles & prizes into account ;) .

Don't aim so high :rolleyes: ... He was a famous pilot, and got his HSU for a great achievement in this field... in 1936. :P

Cheers.

Ch.

Dear Christophe,

so not one of the pilots of the Chelyuskin-rescue (1934) - we had a "Otto Schmidt"-question already in our quiz ;) -, but a pilot from the International Brigades in the Spanish Civil War.

Some of them made a brilliant career in the GPW and in the Soviet Union ;) .

As far, as I can remember, at another quiz-question some month ago, I listed all the high decorated (HSU) Soviet pilots of the Spanish Civil War.

So, one of these HSUs should be our comrade with 21 Soviet Orders ;) .

Christian

He did not participate in the Spanish Civil War... :shame:

A hint : He has been made Hero of the Soviet Union and awarded the Order of Lenin on 24 July 1936 for the courage and the heroism shown in performing a specific flight.

Ch.

I thought it must have been one of the wonder-pilots of the 1930s, but I cannot find their orders. The one that fits the date you gave must be Valery Pavlovich Chkalov.

From July 20 to 22, 1936 he flew nonstop from Moscow across the Arctic Ocean to the island of Udd (today called Chkalov), a distance of 9,374 kilometers. For this mission, he was awarded the title Hero of the Soviet Union on July 24, 1936 for showing courage and heroism during the flight.

I thought it must have been one of the wonder-pilots of the 1930s, but I cannot find their orders. The one that fits the date you gave must be Valery Pavlovich Chkalov.

Dear Carol,

well, our Hero died in a plane crash 1938 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valery_Chkalov .

So, he had no chance to get 21 Soviet Orders ;) .

But there had been another one of these famous long-distance pilots, as far as I rember :unsure: .

Christian

Dear Carol,

well, our Hero died in a plane crash 1938 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valery_Chkalov .

So, he had no chance to get 21 Soviet Orders ;) .

But there had been another one of these famous long-distance pilots, as far as I rember :unsure: .

Christian

Funny!!! :jumping: We got the same remark at the same time...

Your second remark is very very close to reality.... Who is our man ? :rolleyes: (and you will have then to list his 21 Soviet Orders... :rolleyes: (again).

Ch.

Edited by Christophe