News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz

• Replies 2.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Christophe,

thanks a lot for the other cover with the photograph :cheers: .

The "Reichstag-pictures" got expensive .... :rolleyes:

Well, I think that the others for just USD 800,- are still in a very, very moderate price range in comparison to other famous photographs of let me say French or US photographers.

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Question #109

Let's stay with photographers...

Who am I ?

I'm a Chinese photojournalist who captured some of the most telling images from the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution, better known as the Chinese Cultural Revolution. I worked for a Daily where only postitive pics were allowed to be published. I have seen and photographied many of the atrocities that occurred during the Cultural Revolution. My other photos (those of atrocities) have only recently been published.

Attached is a pic I have taken in Beijing (Pekin) on 18 October 1966. It shows a young Red Guard dancing the Loyalty Dance, waiting for Mao to arrive on Tienanmen Square.

Who am I ?

Good hunt and good luck!!!! :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.

Congratulations Belaruski. :jumping: You are the winner!!! :beer: Not easy, as there were not so many clues...

The photographer is indeed Li Zhensheng.

Here is how he is decribed in Wikipedia :

"Li Zhensheng (born September 22, 1940) is a Chinese photojournalist who captured some of the most telling images from the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution, better known as the Chinese Cultural Revolution.

His employment at the Heilongjiang Daily, a turned-propaganda newspaper during the revolution, and his decision to wear a red arm band indicating an alliance with Chairman Mao Zedong, allowed him a rare access to scenes which have since been only described in written and verbal accounts.

His recent publication of the book, "Red-Color News Soldier" exhibits in vivid detail both the prolific nature of revolutionary ideals in China and, more notably, many of the atrocities that occurred during the Cultural Revolution. The Heilongjiang Daily newspaper had a strict policy in accordance with a government dictate that only "positive" images could be published, which consisted mostly of smiling revolutionaries offering praise for Chairman Mao. The "negative" images, which depicted the atrocities of the time, were hidden beneath a floorboard in his house where they sat for over 40-years before he would bring them to public light at a photo exhibit in 1988."

See more here :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_Zhensheng

Here is also his official website :

http://red-colornewssoldier.com/toc.html

Bravo, Belaruski, Your turn, now!!!! :beer:

Cheers.

Ch.

Dear Belaruski,

congratulations to your victory :cheers::jumping: .

Li Zhensheng has done great photographic documents, but from the mere artistic viewpoint his work is no match to the Soviet photographers of the 1930s & 1940s, I think.

Christian

OK, next question:

1) Who was described thus: "If nails were made of them, they'd be the toughest nails in the world".

2) The leader of these men had a town named after him, with a tragic and ironic legacy. What was it?

More clues available if need be!!

OK, next question:

1) Who was described thus: "If nails were made of them, they'd be the toughest nails in the world".

2) The leader of these men had a town named after him, with a tragic and ironic legacy. What was it?

More clues available if need be!!

Dear Belaruski,

1) The defenders of Tsaritsyn, the later Stalingrad, during the Civil War :unsure: ?

2a) Kliment Voroshilov had been the CO of these men and Luhanks was named Voroshilovgrad :unsure: ?

2b) Iosif Stalin had been the supreme commander and Traritsyn was named Stalingrad :unsure: ?

Christian

K U R S K :jumping::jumping:

Dear Belaruski,

but the heros of submarine "Kursk" are all dead :( .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_submarine_K-141_Kursk

Christian

The clue is in part 2 of the question, to drop a big hint what is the conection between a Russian submarine and the greatest tank battle of WW2?
    Edited by Christian Zulus

Dear Belaruski,

o.k., if you take the submarine "Kursk" as "the leader of the men", then question & answer are correct ;) .

A comprehensive link about the Kursk-desaster: http://www.users.cloud9.net/~bradmcc/kursk.html

Jane's about the "desaster" in the Russian Navy just before the Kursk-desaster: http://www.wonderland.org.nz/Status_russian_navy.htm

Christian

Edited by Christian Zulus

Incorrect, but the clue is indeed a hint to the Kursk.

Vidayevo (particularly the Ara Bay) was the home base of the now lost K-141 Kursk, In 2000 the Kursk's crew's families gathered in the naval base of Vidayevo near Murmansk waiting for news of their missing. The town is a closed one with a big naval base.

It is also named after submarine commander Fyodor Vidayev, who's submarine the P-422 was lost with all hands in 1943.

It is Vidayev and his men who would have been the toughest nails in the world..

Quick passage about Vidayevo:

"The town was named after Fyodor Vidyaev, an impoverished trawlerman from the Volga region who became a legend during the Second World War as a fearless submarine captain. On April 8, 1942, his boat was severely damaged by a German destroyer, and Vidyaev attempted to limp home on the surface. With no power, he ordered the crew to stitch together a sail, tying it between the deck and the raised periscope. Unable to reach land, just as the crew was preparing to scuttle the submarine, they were rescued by another Soviet ship. After further combat patrols, each of them notching up successes against German shipping, in the summer of 1943 Vidyaev's Shch-422 submarine was lost with all hands. In the skilled words of Stalin's propagandists, Vidyaev made for a potent legend: the young fisherman from the south whose cunning and courage swung the battle in the Arctic against the Nazis".

Not sure if his sub was a P or Ssch I've seen both used, but definately number 422! Also depending on translation Vidyaev or Vidayev.

Edited by Belaruski

Hi Belaruski,

Well done!!! A very subtile question... We all lost, no victory there... :rolleyes: But,as Christian was the 1st one to bring the "Kursk" clue, is it his turn now ? Or do you want to ask us another challenge ?

Cheers.

Ch.