News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz

• Replies 2.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In post war Russia, one particular incident resulted in seven people being proposed for the highest title of the Soviet Union. However, following investigation, they never went on to receive their title.

Specifically:

What bound these people together?

What was the incident that earned them this nomination?

Why did they not receive the title?

Good luck.

Jim:cheers:

K-19 :unsure:

In post war Russia, one particular incident resulted in seven people being proposed for the highest title of the Soviet Union. However, following investigation, they never went on to receive their title.

Specifically:

Dear Jim,

after the nuclear K-19-incident http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_submarine_K-19 4th of july 1961 close to Jan Mayen, I guess, that 7 members of the crew - incl. Captain Nikolai Vladimirovich Zateyev - had been nominated for HSU.

Well, K-19 bound these people together, but the nominations for the HSUs had been downgraded to RBs with the argumentation, that the preventing of a nuclear catastrophy didn't not take place during a war, but in peace time :speechless: .

In my opinion, that downgrading had been against the statutes, because also cosmonauts get their HSU in peace time :angry: .

At least ex-comrade Gorbachev nominated in 2006 the crew of K-19 for the Nobel Peace Prize. Again our heros got no awards, because the "muslim-alternative" banker Muhammad Yunus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Yunus got the prize in 2006 :mad: .

National Geographic produced a great movie about K-19: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-19:_The_Widowmaker and http://www.nationalgeographic.com/k19/index.html .

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Hello, everybody is gone for lunch and nobody can see that I misuse the computer.

My suggestion:

The gentlemen are:

Gennady Yanayev

Vladimir Kryuchov

Dimitry Yazov

Valentin Pavlov

Oleg Bakalanov

Vasily Starodubtosev

Alexander Tziyakov

Mr. Boris Pugov preferred to shoot himself to avoid difficulties.

All of these gentlemen were members of the State Emergency Committee.

The were bound together with the coup attempt against Mr. Gorbachev Aug. 18 - Aug.20 1991

Shortly after that the USSR was history and so there were no more Heroes of the SU

Have to stop now they are comming back

Regards Frank :cheers::cheers:

Dear Frank,

I also thought about that, but these poor devils hadn't been "heros" at all, because most of them had been totally drunken :speechless: .

Well the idea had been o.k., but the planning + action + vodka resulted in a disaster :speechless1: .

And you mentioned 8 comrades, not 7 .... :rolleyes:

Christian

Hello, everybody is gone for lunch and nobody can see that I misuse the computer.

My suggestion:

The gentlemen are:

Gennady Yanayev

Vladimir Kryuchov

Dimitry Yazov

Valentin Pavlov

Oleg Bakalanov

Vasily Starodubtosev

Alexander Tziyakov

The were bound together with the coup attempt against Mr. Gorbachev Aug. 18 - Aug.20 1991

Shortly after that the USSR was history and so there were no more Heroes of the SU

My suggestion:

The gentlemen are:

Gennady Yanayev

Vladimir Kryuchov

Dimitry Yazov

Valentin Pavlov

Oleg Bakalanov

Vasily Starodubtosev

Alexander Tziyakov

Hi Frank,

Interesting try - but wrong answer. Christian was closer to the answer than you are.

Come on gentlemen,

Jim :cheers:

Hi Frank,

Interesting try - but wrong answer. Christian was closer to the answer than you are.

Come on gentlemen,

Dear Jim,

so I guess, that your question has to do with another Soviet nuclear submarine incident, where 7 comrades had been nominated for the HSU and some of them already died during the incident :unsure: ?

I have to look in the "National Geographic" book about K-19, where all the other incidents with submarines are listed :D .

Christian

K-278 Komsomolets :unsure:

Dear Jim,

another try: K-278 Komsomolets http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_submarine_Komsomolets :unsure: ?

Vice Admiral HSU Evgeniy Demitrievich Chernov - former commander of the K-278, who got his HSU for diving with the boat 1.300 meters (!) - founded the "Komsomolets Nuclear Submarine Memorial Society" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komsomolets_N...emorial_Society .

Christian

K-278 Komsomolets :unsure:

Dear Jim,

another try: K-278 Komsomolets http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_submarine_Komsomolets :unsure: ?

Vice Admiral HSU Evgeniy Demitrievich Chernov - former commander of the K-278, who got his HSU for diving with the boat 1.300 meters (!) - founded the "Komsomolets Nuclear Submarine Memorial Society" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komsomolets_N...emorial_Society .

Christian

Nope! Again an interesting try but nit the answer I am looking for :)

The question with some more hints thrown in:

In post war Russia, one particular incident specifically between 1965-1970 resulted in seven people being proposed for the Hero of the Soviet Union title (more than half of them would have recieved it psothumously). However, following the results of investigations into the instances, they were circumstances that led to none of them not receiving the HSU. This was not a downgrade, the awards were not given.

Specifically:

Keep trying guys. I am not going into specifics and I'll throw some more hints if I see we're getting stuck.

Dear Jim,

many thanks for your hints :cheers: .

So, we deal with the early era of comrade Brezhnev till 1970 :D .

4 of the comrades died at the incident and 3 survived and all 7 had been proposed for the HSU. Neither the passed away comrades, nor the survivors got the HSU, nor any other CCCP-Award.

Well, the question is: Which herioc incident happend between 1965 and 1970 within the armed forces of the Soviet Union, that didn't result in approbriate decorations (+ some KIAs) :unsure: ?

Christian

The question with some more hints thrown in:

In post war Russia, one particular incident specifically between 1965-1970 resulted in seven people being proposed for the Hero of the Soviet Union title (more than half of them would have recieved it psothumously). However, following the results of investigations into the instances, they were circumstances that led to none of them not receiving the HSU. This was not a downgrade, the awards were not given.

Specifically:

Keep trying guys. I am not going into specifics and I'll throw some more hints if I see we're getting stuck.

Edited by Christian Zulus

So, we deal with the early era of comrade Brezhnev till 1970 :D .

Yes.

4 of the comrades died at the incident and 3 survived and all 7 had been proposed for the HSU. Neither the passed away comrades, nor the survivors got the HSU, nor any other CCCP-Award.

I said more than half - 4, 5, and 6 are all more than half. Your assumptions as to the numbers and not my hint. :cheeky: (BUT) - you may also be right.....

Well, the question is: Which herioc incident happend between 1965 and 1970 within the armed forces of the Soviet Union, that didn't result in approbriate decorations (+ some KIAs) :unsure: ?

I'd say that if nominations for HSU were made but no award was granted, someone high up must have had serious thoughts about whether this even was really heroic or not.

Ok..lets say its a submarine at this stage..... still not the K-11.

Dear Jim,

many thanks for narrowing on 1965 - 1970 + Soviet submarines :cheers: .

So, I have in front of me the National Geographic book of Peter Huchthausen "K-19, the Widowmaker" and the appendix about Soviet submarine accidents.

O.K., it's not K-11, but on 15th of july 1965 we had an accident in the Mediterranean Sea with B-31, Tango-Class, with fire on board and 4 crew members died.

What about this guess :unsure: ?

Christian

Hi Jim,

This seems a good one!!!!! :jumping: Christian in investigating all the soviet submarines :rolleyes: ... and we have unfiortunately no better option to propose... :(

Let's see if Christian (or others - Where are you, BTW ?) will solve the mystery... :P

Cheers.

Ch.

Hi Jim,

This seems a good one!!!!! :jumping: Christian in investigating all the soviet submarines :rolleyes: ... and we have unfiortunately no better option to propose... :(

Let's see if Christian (or others - Where are you, BTW ?) will solve the mystery... :P

Cheers.

Ch.

He he....

We got ourselves our own little "Hunt for the Red October"....... :jumping:

But not enough people shooting depth charges ... Is the question that hard or are we losing steam? :unsure:

Will this be the longest standing question? :cheeky: