News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz

(...)

The important personality had been the Vice President of the USA Lyndon B. Johnson http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyndon_B._Johnson , who arrived in Berlin.

(...)Christian

Christian,

By important personality, I mean someone who played a significant role in the process. This was not the case of Johnson.

This important personality arrived on 10 August 1961.

Ch.

• Replies 2.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By important personality, I mean someone who played a significant role in the process. This was not the case of Johnson.

This important personality arrived on 10 August 1961.

Dear Christophe,

o.k., then it hadn't been General Clay http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucius_D._Clay either, because he arrived together with Johnson :( .

Did the important personality play a role in the Eastern or Western sector of Berlin :unsure: ?

Might the journalist have been Annamarie Doherr (1909 - 1974) working for the "Frankfurter Rundschau" :unsure: ?

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Dear Christophe,

o.k., then it hadn't been General Clay http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucius_D._Clay either, because he arrived together with Johnson :( .

Did the important personality play a role in the Eastern or Western sector of Berlin :unsure: ?

Might the journalist have been Annamarie Doherr (1909 - 1974) working for the "Frankfurter Rundschau" :unsure: ?

Christian

No, it is not her.

I need the answer to the 4 questions (+ bonus as an option...).

Ch.

I will help you a little bit with a clue that should help and put you on the way...

Look carefully at what I wrote :

(...) Before the borders get closed, he first announced "Berlin (...) holding its breath for dramatic measures", a day-lead that made some "noise", and should have warned the world of dramatic measures... (...)

Ch.

This should help you ID the type of media, and answer question #1... :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.

Hello,

I think we are talking about Mr. Adam Kellett- Long from Reuters

He wrote it on Friday Aug. 11. 1961

Mr Konev arrived on Thursday 10. to take over command

Adam sent his report to reuters on Sunday 13. ( He found out that Border was closed late evening 12.

His car which belonged to Reuters was a red Wartburg ( Unfortunately I do not know the number of the license plate it is weekend and the police station closed)

Bonus 2 I cannot answer because I cannot ask Mr Ulbricht

Bonus 3 I cannot answer because I have not Mr Kelletts telefone number but I guess he was happy about a livetime story knowing he was the first to tell the world that the border is closed.

Regards

Frank :cheers::cheers:

This Question nearly killed me because I had to answer it and I have still 256 Soviet Posters to Frtame until tomorrow

Frank, you are THE expert of the DDR!!! ... and the winner!!!! :jumping::jumping:

Your answers are fully perfect. Nothing to add, except :

Question 4 : He sent it before 2:00am on the 13rd August. In fact the frontiers have been blocked from 1:30am.

Bonus 2 : Ulbricht called him "my little shadow".

Bonus 3 : He was very embarassed since his day-lead of the 11th August, as a full day went without something happened. And as news agencies have to be factual only, his boss came from Bonn, asking him to justify something that was firstly based on impressions and clues... He was of course better later with his real scoop...

Bravo Frank,

Your turn now :beer: .

Cheers.

Ch.

PS : and sorry for delaying the frames work... :rolleyes:

Dear Frank,

congratulations to your victory #9 :cheers: .

You are THE DDR-expert :D .

After finishing your "framing-job" we are waiting eagerly for your question #151 :love: .

Christian

Hello,

I think we are talking about Mr. Adam Kellett- Long from Reuters

He wrote it on Friday Aug. 11. 1961

Mr Konev arrived on Thursday 10. to take over command

Adam sent his report to reuters on Sunday 13. ( He found out that Border was closed late evening 12.

His car which belonged to Reuters was a red Wartburg ( Unfortunately I do not know the number of the license plate it is weekend and the police station closed)

Bonus 2 I cannot answer because I cannot ask Mr Ulbricht

Bonus 3 I cannot answer because I have not Mr Kelletts telefone number but I guess he was happy about a livetime story knowing he was the first to tell the world that the border is closed.

Regards

This Question nearly killed me because I had to answer it and I have still 256 Soviet Posters to Frtame until tomorrow

Hello

now an easy one:

Circus Aliosha had several managers during the long stay in Eastern Germany.

One of the directors had been awarded a very high decoration. He had the same honorary title as the lover of Miss Claretta Petacci.

The installation ceremony takes place every five years. Where ? (need the complete name of the place)

Who was the director?

Regards

COMMENDATORE

Dear Frank,

there had been a long row of these "CA"-mangers in the GDR:

GSBTD

Georgi K. Schukow - 9. Juni 1945 bis 21. M?rz 1946

Wassili D. Sokolowski - 22. M?rz 1946 bis 31. M?rz 1949

Wassili I. Tschuikow - 1. April 1949 bis 26. Mai 1953

Andrei A. Gretschko - 27. Mai 1953 bis 16. November 1957

GSSD

Andrei A. Gretschko - 27. Mai 1953 bis 16. November 1957

Matwei W. Sacharow - 17. November 1957 bis 14. April 1960

Iwan I. Jakubowski - 15. April 1960 bis 9. August 1961

Iwan S. Konew - 9. August 1961 bis 18. April 1962

Iwan I. Jakubowski - 19. April 1962 bis 26. Januar 1965

Pjotr K. Koschewoi - 27. Januar 1965 bis 31. Oktober 1969

Wiktor G. Kulikow - 1. November 1969 bis 13. September 1972

Semjon K. Kurkotkin - 14. September 1971 bis 19. Juli 1972

Jewgeni F. Iwanowski - 20. Juli 1972 bis 25. November 1980

Michail M. Saizew - 26. November 1980 bis 6. Juli 1985

Pjotr G. Luschew - 7. Juli 1985 bis 11. Juli 1986

Waleri A. Belikow - 12. Juli 1986 bis 12. November 1987

Boris W. Snetkow - 26. November 1987 bis 13. Dezember 1990

WGT

Boris W. Snetkow - 26. November 1987 bis 13. Dezember 1990

Matwei P. Burlakow - 13. Dezember 1990 bis 31. August 1994

That Circus Aliosha is also known under the name "Camping Allemagne", or correct: советская армия :P .

I guess, you are asking for the title (& order) of a Commendatore http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commendatore :

Mussolini gave that title to Enzo Ferrari ... :rolleyes:

The installation ceremony takes place in Rome, in the Quirnal Palace http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quirinal_Palace , due to the fact, that the order is confered by the President of Italia.

O.K., we still don't have the awardee :( .

Well, I guess, that quite a few of the above mentioned CCCP Marshals & Generals got a Ordine al Merito della Repubblica Italia ... :rolleyes: .

I would concentrate to the Marshals, who were personally involved into the liberation of Europe from the Nazis (and the Mussolini-gangs) :unsure: .

Christian

Hello

now an easy one:

Circus Aliosha had several managers during the long stay in Eastern Germany.

One of the directors had been awarded a very high decoration. He had the same honorary title as the lover of Miss Claretta Petacci.

The installation ceremony takes place every five years. Where ? (need the complete name of the place)

Who was the director?

Regards

Dear Frank,

so, I has to be of the Ordine al Merito della Repubblica Italiana either:

- Cavaliere di Gran Croce decorato di Gran Cordone

- Cavaliere di Gran Croce

- Grande Ufficiale

Quite a few non-Italian Admirals & Generals got the "Grande Ufficiale" in the 1950s & 1960s ... :rolleyes:

Due to one of these high ranks of Italia's most supreme Order, I might guess, that the awardee might be one of the really famous Soviet Marshals: Either Zhukov or Konev :unsure: ?

The might have got their decorations from the President of Italia in the 1950s :unsure: ?

Christian

Hello Christian,

You have done an exellent homework. But .... :rolleyes:

As I said: the installation ceremony takes place every five years.

so it cannot be Commendatore.

Sorry

Regards

Edited by Christian Zulus

Hallo Christian,

Mr. Mussolini was Italian citizen. That does not absolutely mean that the wanted person must have an Italian

decoration. If You read my question very careful you will find a five year turn.

Sorry to cause you some problems. :(

Regards

ZHUKOV :jumping:

Dear Frank,

no, I had been my mistake, looking for an Italian Order ... :blush:

Mussolini and Zhukov had one extraordinary high ranking order in common:

Knights Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Bath

The award is confered by the Souvereign in the Henry VII Lady Chapel at Westminster Abbey in London

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_VII_Lady_Chapel

Christian

Hallo Christian,

Mr. Mussolini was Italian citizen. That does not absolutely mean that the wanted person must have an Italian

decoration. If You read my question very careful you will find a five year turn.

Sorry to cause you some problems. :(

Regards

Edited by Christian Zulus

Dear Christian,

You have got it :jumping:

My boss used to give us documents to analyse. We always had to be very careful because one little word could give a hint or even change the whole situation, which sometimes can cause a lot of trouble. I did a lot of mistakes at the beginning . In emergency these mistakes can cost lifes. :violent:

It is your turn now!

Congratulations

Dear Frank,

many thanks for the congratulations :cheers: .

And these are really wise words ... :D

Christian

Dear Christian,

You have got it :jumping:

My boss used to give us documents to analyse. We always had to be very careful because one little word could give a hint or even change the whole situation, which sometimes can cause a lot of trouble. I did a lot of mistakes at the beginning . In emergency these mistakes can cost lifes. :violent:

It is your turn now!

Congratulations

Question #152

Gentlemen,

due to the fact, that I am the first person, who answered 30 questions correctly at Christophe's GMIC-quiz, I will give the new question #152 a very personal touch :D . It's a question about a person, who visited me in Vienna in 1996.

Who am I :unsure:?

During the mid-1990s I had the rank of a Lieutenant General and was the military commander of an important city in Eastern Europe.

During 1977/78 I worked - besides General of the Army Vasily Ivanovich Petrov (later Marshal SU) - as a military adviser to the Ethiopian Forces at the "Ogaden War" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogaden_War and had been very successful.

I got a large number of orders & medals, as you can see at the photograph from the 9th of may 1998 in my home town, among them: Motherland 2cl & 3cl and 3x Red Star - also for conducting military operations in Ethiopia.

Questions:

1) The name of the city, where I had been military commander in the 1990s ?

2) What is my name ?

Some hints:

In 1996 there had been the celebrations of the 100-year-anniversary of the "Radetzky Kaserne", the headquarter of the Military Command of Vienna. Many military commanders from all over Europe had been invited and I took care for that heroic general from the ex-CCCP-Army. The Lieutenant General had been guest in my residence and I showed him around in Vienna.

The Military Command of Vienna issued a special anniversary badge of that event, as you can also see on my jacket at the photographs:

The Lieutenant General in question confered a very nice table medal 1996 to me, which might give a hint, where he was coming from:

Christian

Hello,

Very difficult question so I can only guess.

Mr. V.G. Radetzk(i)y who was Military commander in the Kiev region in the 1990.

Radetzky Kaserne and his name would fit together.

Regards Frank

Dear Frank,

congratulations - Kiev is correct :cheers::jumping: .

Our Military HQ in Vienna is named after the Austrian Fieldmarshal Radetzky http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Radetzky_von_Radetz

Sorry ..., there is no coincidence concerning the name :( .

So, if nobody could name the Military Commander of the City of Kiev in the mid 1990s, then this will be your victory #10 :D . Let's wait ... :rolleyes:

Christian

Hello,

Very difficult question so I can only guess.

Mr. V.G. Radetzk(i)y who was Military commander in the Kiev region in the 1990.

Radetzky Kaserne and his name would fit together.

Regards Frank

Military Commander of the CITY of Kiev (not Military District) in 1996

Gentlemen,

sorry ..., maybe I have been too unprecise :blush: .

Our comrade in question had been in that time (1996) a Lieutenant-General of the UKRAINIAN ARMY and the Commander only of the CITY of Kiev.

For the Commander of the Kiev Military District his rank would have been too low. Usually the Commander of Military Districts in the Soviet Union had been (full) Generals or even GPW-Marshals.

Our comrade in question retired many years ago.

Here a photograph of the 100th-year-anniversary-celebration 1996 at the "Kommandogeb?ude Feldmarschall Radetzty" of the Military Command of Vienna (MilKdo Wien), where our Lieutenant-General is walking to his seat:

Christian