News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Red October Medal

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

Well .... I have decided to make the plunge on that Lenin Order I posted a few days ago .. but while I'm gonna get the old Lady cranked ... I thought I may as well make it a good one :P

I am thinking about adding this one to the bunch as well .... A Variation 2 (5 rivets). Any comments? I hope to get a few pics of the ribbon later on.

Obverse:

Guest Rick Research

I still think it is "cheaper" in the long run to get DOCUMENTED awards. As prices rise, those boats will always float higher, and you won't have the "Upgrade Issue." :rolleyes:

Guest Darrell

I still think it is "cheaper" in the long run to get DOCUMENTED awards. As prices rise, those boats will always float higher, and you won't have the "Upgrade Issue." :rolleyes:

I agree Rick ... I'll see what he has in his Santa bag ;)

Rick is, of course, right. Just now, documented awards are not THAT much more. When/if research opens, you'll be glad of the document. That may be required to "crack" civilian awards.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Guest Darrell

That from a Non-Investment-Collector? :speechless1::lol:;)

Like I mentioned to Gerd in a PM, I will be getting the Order of Lenin with Booklet (remember the woman - who got it for milking cows :rolleyes: ) ... I thought I'd pick up one of these from Alexei while I was at it to save some shipping costs. I have sent an email to see if he has an example with award booklet as well.

I just bought one from Alexei this week. I was also proposed the one you are showing. It is sold $245 without booklet and $360 with booklet. As a student, it's not very resonnable for me to buy this kind of awards, but I wanted one pretty much. So I opted for one without booklet. Unfortunately, I had to go without documentation, otherwise it was too much for me. :(

Here it is : # 66673

I should receive it this week. :P

Darrell, if you want pics of the ribbon of #80628, send me a PM.

P.S.: You got better scans than me.

Edited by Soviet

Guest Darrell

I just bought one from Alexei this week. I was also proposed the one you are showing. It is sold $245 without booklet and $360 with booklet. As a student, it's not very resonnable for me to buy this kind of awards, but I wanted one pretty much. So I opted for one without booklet. Unfortunately, I had to go without documentation, otherwise it was too much for me. :(

Hi mate,

The medal I posted comes with a booklet? Interesting .... I'll ask Alexei if it has the booklet :unsure:

Sure send me the pics of the ribbon ... did you get any pics of the booklet as well?

Guest Rick Research

BAD Gerd! :lol: You KNOW what I mean is that rather than buy ONE Very Expensive Order NOW with NO Orders Book and then later wish for one WITH the Book-- buying TWO instead of ONE is not a "bargain." Better to save a bit longer and GET the "one."

It is like having an Orders Book with lots of nice awards but not being CERTAIN they actually DID all belong to the same recipient without the Award Records Card.

I do not mean "value" to another buyer, but to ourselves. :cool:

BAD Gerd! :lol: You KNOW what I mean is that rather than buy ONE Very Expensive Order NOW with NO Orders Book and then later wish for one WITH the Book-- buying TWO instead of ONE is not a "bargain." Better to save a bit longer and GET the "one."

It is like having an Orders Book with lots of nice awards but not being CERTAIN they actually DID all belong to the same recipient without the Award Records Card.

I do not mean "value" to another buyer, but to ourselves. :cool:

LOL

Of course i know, what you mean, just could not resist :cheeky:

And i agree 100%. My OOR in that group means much more to me than the single undocumented one, which is in better condition. I was very lucky to get one in a group, as you mostly see them either undocumented or single with orders book.

Gerd

Nice one, Bryan. They are very attractive, aren?t they?

Btw, i highly doubt, Alexei would split an award book from the order. He didn?t offer you the same OOR with and without book, did he?

Gerd

Edited by Gerd Becker

No he didn't. I just didn't explain myself really good. The one Darrell have shown was not availible with document. I wanted to say that an other one was availible with documents, but it seems it has been sold. :unsure:

Yes, i already thought so, Bryan ;) Just to avoid misunderstandings.

The one on his website is sold, but you should ask him though, as he has quite often documented ones.

best,

Gerd

Guest Darrell

Yes, i already thought so, Bryan ;) Just to avoid misunderstandings.

The one on his website is sold, but you should ask him though, as he has quite often documented ones.

best,

Gerd

:(

He doesn't have any more documented ones left. It appears I may have to pass on getting one for now. I need more patience. I hope when he finally gets one they havent doubled in price :mad:

Guest Darrell

:(

He doesn't have any more documented ones left. It appears I may have to pass on getting one for now. I need more patience. I hope when he finally gets one they havent doubled in price :mad:

UPDATE ... well he didn't have any documented medals so I bowed out this time ....

UPDATE ... well he didn't have any documented medals so I bowed out this time ....

Just be careful with an award with the last type of order book, as you can (still) buy these blank and it's easy enough to put a name and number in it if you're a native Cyrillic writer. I've seen way too many high numbered Courage orders and Homeland 3rd orders (both of which were released from the Mint in the hundreds as unissued awards) that are "documented" but with the dubious late type document.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

A separate new thread on "Bad Books" would be quite useful. :cheers:

We had a typically epic length thread on editions and types of Orders Books, date overlaps and so on:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=675

But a new thread just on BAD ones would be great for seeing what they look like to avoid 'em.

Rick,

If my scanner starts to work I'll post some pics of the blank books.

I also have a few others that I'll post...

Rusty.