News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What unit?

I can buy this single salty medal but would like to know what unit its from? Text on the rim - 20309 PTE P F.GREENSLADE CI OUC R.

How much would be the value of this award approx?

Thank you for your help!

Noor

0855898789c278_o.jpg

08558989e2fd0b_o.jpg

Edited by leigh kitchen

He is definately a member of the Gloucestershire regiment, and according to the CWGC website he was not a casualty. As to worth a very salty example such as this will go for around 12gbp i have trouble seeing it go for more.

Cheers

Chris

He's R F Greenslade and is missing his 15 Star and VM.

I'd probably be tempted to pay more for the ribbon than the BWM and that wouldn't anything above 2 GBP (but I'm tight) unless I was able to reunite his group.

Tony

His pension papers are on Ancestry. Looks like he served with the 2nd Bn. and was wounded 21 August 1915. Born 1894 if you want to do census searches.

See also http://www.glosters.org.uk/soldier/14756

Can't see him on the 1901 census. Born Cheltenham Glos. But the plot thickens. There is a death entry for a Reginald F. Greenslade (same age) in Cheltenham last quarter 1918. Was he an influenza victim?

Edited by Michael Johnson

Top class information :jumping::jumping: !!!!

I am totally stunned what you guys can dig out. Thank you so much!

One collector (who don't know anything about British awards like myself) picked this award up from.... Moscow :speechless1: . I am planning to buy it, just because its nice medal and some how I love this rusty look on it. But of course lets see how much he asks first. Thats the reason why I wanted to know is it rare unit or not and what would be the price level. But you guys put new life inside this piece - there is history behind now! Thank you again :cheers:

Hallo Noor, :beer:

rescuing lost B.W.M. medals is a Noble cause, I have picked up

a couple here in Romania and one in Germany,

just waiting for the long ago promised original lengths ribbons to arrive :rolleyes:

(nudge, nudge, wink, wink, hint, hint!)

The value in the U.K. for example seems to be rated on who the guy was and what Regiment or Corps he was with.

By the way there should be no RUST as they were not made from Iron :P

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

You've got the right man in the CEnsus Records Tony - I found his "Pension Record":

Reginald Frederick Greenslade, Born in the Parish of Cheltenham near the town of Cheltenham, attested at age 21 years & 1 month, a labourer, he stipulated that he wanted to join the Gloucestershire Regimant.

Edited by leigh kitchen

Attested 18/4/15, posted to the Depot on 13/4/15, to 3rd Battalion 15/4/18, to 2nd Bn in July 1915, to Depot 7/9/15, to 3rd Bn 12/1/16, discharged at Chatham (?) 10/5/16

Address on discharge:

8, Brunswick Terrace, St' Pauls, Cheltenham.

The CO of 3rd Bn Gloucestershire Regiment certifies his character as good.

He served for 1 year & 29 days.

Served at "Home" 12/4/15 - ? July 1915, 92 days, Expeditionary Force France 1/7/15 - 6/9/15, 56(?) days, Home 7/9/15 - 10/5/16, 246 days - total service 1 year & 29 days.

Wounded in The Field, Gun Shot Wound to Right Arm (Fractured? - can't read it) received 21/8/15.

Father: - Frederick Greenslade, 8, Brunswick Tce, Cheltenham.

Pension to address, 8 Brunswick Terrace, St Pauls, Cheltenham, Character Good, single, served in France for 2 months, between 13/7/15 - 6/9/15, Cause of Discharge Gun Shot Wound to right forearm, Medical Board Report of 15/3/16 - "In action Aug. 1915 France.

A scar about 6" long is adherent to the ulua. There is another non-adherent scar on forearm aspect of the arm. The utility of the ahnd is markedly impaired

Prevents 1/2 for 3 months, then to permanently.

Expires 10/11/16

Lists more reports from Medical Board.

I can't make out what's written at the bottom left corner, it looks like "Man Died" 22/10/18, similar wording included in the entry bottom right, I think.

Greenslade isn't listed on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site, if he has died then it is presumably not related to his military service - an accident perhaps? That's if I'm reading the entry correctly.......

On 10/5/16, the CO of 3rd Bn Gloster's signs off that Greenslades accounts are correctly balanced, at Chattenden Farm Camp (I think that it's "Chattenden" rather than "Cheltenham").

Greenslade is discharged on 10/5/16, although the entry bottom left gives the year as "15"..

"Proceedings on Discharge", now aged 22 years & 2 months, 5 feet 7 1/2 inches tall, 34 1/2 inch chest, range of expansion 2 1/2 inches, fresh complexion, blue eyes, fair hair, labourer, address is the 8, Brunswick Terrace one.

Descriptive Marks - Gun Shot Wound, Right arm.

Discharged in consequence of being no longer physically fit for war service, Military Character "Good", "Conduct & Character during his Service Quite Satisfactory"

I'm not sure if this list of innoculations belongs to this is mans records, as "Ancestry" states that the record consists of 7 pages (one of which is a duplicate of another & so not shown here), which then run straight into another mans records without a dividing card.

However these last 4 pages were actually found filed immediately in front of the 7 pages, at least 3 of them & possibly this 4th are actually part of his records.

• 3 months later...

Thank you guys again for the excellent answers!

Now I am quering one Victory medal. There is text on the rim.....43117 Pte J Keane R D ( or O)U 8 fus

Is there any extra information what you guys can find regarding this information?

Thank you guys again for the excellent answers!

Now I am quering one Victory medal. There is text on the rim.....43117 Pte J Keane R D ( or O)U 8 fus

Is there any extra information what you guys can find regarding this information?

Probably the unit is:- Royal Dublin Fusilier's.

Kevin in Deva. :beer: