News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mongolia at the 'Red Auction'

Ed_Haynes

The recent San Giorgio auction had some intersting Mongolian lots. See:

http://www.sangiorgioaste.com/eng-site/auc...egoria=MONGOLIA

And most of these lots went unsold. Sold:

1078 - Hero of Mongolia - EUR 14000 (around $17528)

1079 - Hero of Labor - EUR 3500 (around $4382)

1080 - Order of Sukhbaatar - EUR 1700 (around $2129)

1081 - A nice three Red Banner of Military Valor documented group - EUR 2000 (around $2504)

1103 - Medal 'Friendship' (B A44) EUR 70 (around $88)

1104 - Honorary Chekist (B D03) - EUR 800 (around $1002)

All prices exclusive of fees.

While catalogue details are sparse, these may be some interesting results?

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Don't laugh, but I don't find those prices to be THAT expensive. I was almost expecting the hero to go well north of 20K Euro. The documented set I'd even consider "cheap", idem or the SB. Makes me regret not putting some bids in actually. Oh well, at least got some other goodies:)

As already touched upon earlier in this thread, the price rises have been less spectacular when calculated in Euros.

Elsewhere on this forum someone also indicated that the market was a euromarket rather than a dollarmarket.

And now that the dollar is gaining on the euro, prices seem on the low side, though are consistant when calculated in Euros.

My 2 tugruks

Jan

I'm not sure, Jan, that it has a lot to do with any national currency units, as they're always fluctuating against each other anyway. There is NO "standard" (expect, maybe, the tugrik?). Basic stuff has reached the limit, extraordinary (and maybe not even that) material still has a market? Still pondering what this all means.

The rather well hidden Mongolian lots (which they seemed to think, somehow, were Soviet) in the recent Morton and Eden sale (240 and 331) went unsold.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

I'm not sure, Jan, that it has a lot to do with any national currency units, as they're always fluctuating against each other anyway. There is NO "standard" (expect, maybe, the tugrik?). Basic stuff has reached the limit, extraordinary (and maybe not even that) material still has a market? Still pondering what this all means.

The rather well hidden Mongolian lots (which they seemed to think, somehow, were Soviet) in the recent Morton and Eden sale (240 and 331) went unsold.

Well said, Ed. I do not know if you are applying this to Soviet awards as well; but I think that it is true there also. I further think that this trend carried through to the Morton & Eden auction.

• 4 months later...