News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Roadbuilder Badges

Didn't know the MVD were into bridge building????

Hi Danny

Yes, that surprised me, too, but we know that they were involved in some way in nearly everything. I can only speculate that the nature and extent of the highway system was a state secret and somehow the MVD was involved from that angle. Purely a guess, of course. There is a bridge prominent in all three badges, but the badges are for roadbuilding, not just for bridges.

I was very pleased to find these two Soviet badges, with documents, both from the same recipient. I never found any other examples of either one and only the one Georgian variant.

Chuck

Never seen the documents, ever! :cheers:

You know, I have a couple dozen of the WW II excellence badges and I have seen a hundred or more offered for sale "in the wild" and countless others on retail sites. This is the only document for a military excellence badge that I have ever come across. I guess they're out there. They must be, here's the proof. But darn if I ever see them. Anyone else?

Chuck

Guest Rick Research

:jumping: Terrific stuff! Glad you found us. I've seen more Never Seen :jumping: documentation in these couple of days than in the last 10 years! :cheers:

It is precisely this KIND of documentation that takes "unknown" obscure badges and allows some sort of frame of reference to begin building a base of knowledge:

as in THAT type of Georgian badge WAS awarded in 1963.

Well, I guess I got the reverses in the first post. Here is the document for the military badge.

Not that I've been looking for them, but in 14 years of collecting this stuff that's the first Otlichnik document I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing it!!!

Dave

Not that I've been looking for them, but in 14 years of collecting this stuff that's the first Otlichnik document I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing it!!!

Dave

Hi Dave

It's nice to see some familiar faces on this forum. If you haven't seen those documents, then they must be unusual. I know it's the only one I've ever seen.

Does anyone else have any of these Otlichnik documents? If you do, I'd like to see them.

Speaking of documents, are they welcome and of interest on this forum? I mean, documents without accompanying hardware or that never had accompanying hardware.

Chuck

Edited by Chuck In Oregon

Oooooooooooooooohyeayuh. :cheers:

OK, my first laugh of the day. Thank you.

I've got a LOT of documents, including some early Chekist documents, even complete pre-war major criminal files. They're hard to do justice to, and they'll take some time, but I'll see what I can do.

Chuck

It took me a minute to recognize the stylized bridge, but I'd say they mostly stayed with the theme. Curious that they substituted the globe for the blue sky in the earlier badges. I wonder what the significance of the ribbon is or if it has any meaning besides not clashing with the award.

Chuck

Does anyone else have any of these Otlichnik documents? If you do, I'd like to see them.

Speaking of documents, are they welcome and of interest on this forum? I mean, documents without accompanying hardware or that never had accompanying hardware.

Chuck

I've never seen a road builder document, but I've seen 3-4 other strictly military documents. The ones I've seen are not specially printed documents like yours, but typed out on military unit stationery and signed by the commander. You've got something rarer than hen's teeth.

A few remarks to this roadbuilder badge.

I have read somewhere in the internet, that these badge is heavily faked. You could bought it at nearly

every street corner in dozens for 50 USD.

They tried to sell this badge as a original NKVD badge.

Added is my badge, which I have bought a long time ago for a very very little amount. So I think, the

chance that it is a fake is more or less big. Although I hope it is not the case, but as we know the hope

dies at last. :lol:

Edited by Alfred