News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Confusion about Bavarian Service Distinction Cross

Hello Gentlemen,

Im little confused here.

Im some articles and sites i found 2 classes for Bavarian Service Distinction Cross: 40 years and 25 years. And another sources I found for 15 years, This is correct??

Anyone can provide more infos about these decorations , rules and pictures of the right medals ???

Thx in advance

Regards

Hello Alexandre:

An excellent question:

Well, the answer is a bit complicated, but here is a brief outline:

Bavarian Long-Service Awards:

For Officers:

40 Year Cross (silver w/ blue enamel center elements)

24 Year Cross (two variations exist depending on the era of award, one dark bronze (earlier: pre-1906), and one bronze (often gilded), they are also different sizes I believe, with the earlier award being larger)

For NCOs/enlisted:

21 Year Clasp (prior to 1914) gilded with frame/15 Year Cross gilded finish(after 1914)

12 Year Clasp (prior to 1914) silver with frame/12 Year Medal gilded finish (after 1914)

9 Year Clasp (prior to 1914) iron with frame/9 Year Medal silver-coloured finish (after 1914)

For Reserve Officers:

20 Year Service Cross silver

For Reserve NCOs/enlisted:

2nd Class Landwehr Service Clasp (prior to 1914)/2nd Class Landwehr Service Medal copper/bronze finish (after 1914)

Note that there were also early 19th Century long-service veteran's awards for 40 and 25 years of service which pre-date the above.

Rick recently covered the Officer's crosses in a posting. There is a nice 40 Year Service Cross for sale by Cartoonman in the Sale Section.

My outline is a bit simplistic, but perhaps it will help answer your question.

Best regards,

"SPM"

Hello Schie?platzmeister,

Thx a lot for your infos...but one question stay im my mind....

I found this picture below in a auction site as Bavarian Service Distinction Cross 15 years, and the roman numbers shows realy 15 years... if this medal is not a Bavarian Service Distinction Cross , what kind of decoration is ????

Regards

Hello Schie?platzmeister,

Thx a lot for your infos...but one question stay im my mind....

I found this picture below in a auction site as Bavarian Service Distinction Cross 15 years, and the roman numbers shows realy 15 years... if this medal is not a Bavarian Service Distinction Cross , what kind of decoration is ????

Regards

Hello again Alexandre:

This is the 15 Year Service Cross for NCO's which was awarded after 1913.

Best regards,

"SPM"

Just add a bot o' triva- wasn't there also a civil servant's long service medal??

Hello Ulsterman:

Oh yes, there are a great many Bavarian civil long-service decorations.

The group that you show however has a Bavarian Ludwig Cross on the left and a Bavarian Gold (or Bronze?) Agricultural Jubilee medal on the right (neither of which are true "long-service awards" in my opinion).

There was also a Luitpold Cross for 40 Years of civil service, and awards for gendarmerie service, fire brigade service, service in the army arsenals, and a Red Cross service award.

But, I believe that Alexandre was possibly more interested in the military long service awards, hence my response.

Best regards,

"SPM"

Edited by Schie?platzmeister

Tom Y. posted an excellent picture of a 24 year cross on the OMSA database. See here:

http://www.omsa.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=2823

as mentioned above-cartoonman has a 40 year in his sales list ($400, page 5) in the sales section.

It would be nice if he let us borrow his images for the thread. Somebody else one day will want to know.

Edited by Ulsterman

as mentioned above-cartoonman has a 40 year in his sales list ($400, page 5) in the sales section.

Oh dear, that bargain is still available? Gentlemen, if I collected Bavaria... I have not seen more than five in te years... ;)

A little late getting into the thread here... but somebody mention Cartoonman's 19th century favorite??? Yes, it's here, looking for an appreciative home... after nobody but me caring about it, for these past 40+ years... I picked it up in an old jeweler's shop on Pfisterstra?e, in downtown M?nchen, right around the corner from Platzl and the Hofbr?u Haus... all you tourists know that place! The 40-year's on a short piece of ribbon... I also have two of the twety-four year models... ---Cartoonman

Oh dear, that bargain is still available? Gentlemen, if I collected Bavaria... I have not seen more than five in te years... ;)