News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Nice Bulgarian Photo Album

• Replies 59
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A close up of the lettering on her headress, do we have any Bulgarian translators please?

Nice photos! :cheers: No, that's School /Gymnasium/ uniform, with the school name on the hat. Sorry, the letters are not well seen, can't read it.

Indeed the other one is Red Cross uniform. Also there was Red Cross at the Air Force - same uniform with the Air Force bullion wings on the chest.

That's right, Rick - the cape boards are small shoulder boards. With special miniature pips and buttons, only for those boards. The rubber capes have the same boards, made of rubber, again with small pips and buttons. Here is the miniature board on my Doctor's cape

Edited by Theodor

No, the common army capes did not have such clasps. These clasps were for the Air Force only. I took some photos of mine, so you can see the details /both halves are original, though did not come together, as seen from the color and the more smooth background on one/. Still can be considered a set, if not looking too much in detail :rolleyes:

The very first picture in this thread - is there a date or a name on it? He looks familiar to me, I think it is possible that it is the same guy /on my photo - still in the Military School, already training for airman/. What do you think, could this be him?

Theodor. sorry for not replying sooner. The photos in this album are stuck fast and so I am unable to see if anything is written to the reverse. Under the photo in post 1 is written 1937 and under the photo in post 11 is 1942. I am assuming they are the same man.

As to your photo, he certainly does look similar, have you any details of him and his career :cheers:

I am sure 1 and 11 are not the same person! The nose, the shape of the face, the chin - no way, in my opinion.

The man on photo 1 and on my photo has good chances to be one and the same person. This is Kiril Tomov, graduated in 1935 as Air Force officer in the 55th Class of the Military of H.M. School. /Grandfather graduated the same class, but as an officer of the Artillery, he moved to the Air Force and became a pilot 2 years later, in 1937, when the Air Force was rebuilt and many officers were needed at once/.

As said, Tomov graduated as Air Force officer in 1935, however his luck did not work one day. As a tradition, at the time of their graduation, each class of new officers of the Military School traveled around the country, visiting many towns, historical places, etc. - a very good excursion with patriotic motives. But at one stage of the trip, when climbing on a train already moving, Tomov fell /have heard different stories - stumbled in his cloak, another story - more likely - stumbled with his sword/ - whatever the reason, he fell and the train wheels cut part of his leg. Not much I think, if remember right only the heel.

And here comes the more extraordinary! Years later, postwar, he had a similar accident! Can not remember now, whether a train or a tramway, but lost his legs! :speechless1: Said that, of all the dozens and dozens of officers from that class, he was one of the last alive, probably until 5 or 6 or so years ago. Only one of his colleagues outlived him. Unfortunately I never managed to meet him, but according to the last survivor from that class /again a pilot, passed less than 2 years ago, he was born 1913!!/, Tomov had been alive until recently and at some time stopped responding.

I am unsure about his officer career. Fir sure it was marked by the partial loss of a leg at its very beginning. I think he must have remained as an Air Force officer, but most likely with ground duties and if did fly, probably he did it as an observer only. There are 4 volumes, containing the careers of 99% of all officers from 1879 to 1945, when I have a chance will look in those to see his service details.

Edited by Theodor

Theodor. thanks for all that information :cheers:

A very unfortunate or very lucky man depending on how you judge his injuries! I will recheck the album to see if there are any further references to him. I'm sure there is another photo of him in civilian clothing in there.