News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Old White Silver Polish

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

Hi. I have a question for the Purists out there.

I have a couple of medals dating from the 1900's to 1910's.

They are brass or bronze and the nooks and cranies are caked with what appears to be old Silver Polish. Should I carefully remove with a soft toothbrush and warm soapy water? Or leave as is.

Hard saying when it dates from. 50 years ago, 5 years ago?

What's more valuable? The stuff on it or off of it? I guess if it's off, you'd never know it was on would you? :rolleyes:

Guest Rick Research

Yes, water and a little bristle action should slither it off. It's nasty crust and should come off. Not patina, but the slop after effects of bad cleaning. Nothing to "save."

agreed, with other posts, give them a long good soak in mild (Warmish) soapy liquid for a protracted period and then with a soft paint brush (1 inch size should do it, agitate the brush into the crevases and in no time all the acumulated cleaning crud should come off without any harm to the underlying medal, be sure to use a soft brush.

regards

Alex

Just a warning:

Medals that were originally struck in "oxidized silver" or "matte bronze/copper" can be damaged by even this gentle method. They will end up shiny (I'm talking from experience here... :( )

/Mike

Edited by Great Dane

Just a warning:

Medals that were originally struck in "oxidized silver" or "matte bronze/copper" can be damaged by even this gentle method. They will end up shiny (I'm talking from experience here... :( )

/Mike

Mike is obviously quite right here, you mention that they were brass or bronze, are these the original metal without any specific surface finish applied at the time of their manufacture? if not then cleaning as mentioned in previous posts shouldn't harm them. If however a specific surface finish was applied when manufactured, you may destroy it. That being said, if they have obviously been cleaned with a silver polish at some stage (The one you now wish to remove) then the damage may well have been done many years ago. got any photo's to give us a better idea.?

I have cleaned some British medals both bronze and silver in a similar way, as these are "As they come" metal, they have in time once again regained a natural "Patina" but without the crud and no visible signs of damage, so as you say, once removed, who would know that it was there in the first place. Just a thought

regards

Alex

Edited by Alex K

Try with just warm water and a very mild "baby's first" toothbrush. Should do a non-destructive job. But use your fingers as much as the toothbrush. A toothpick (wooden) is often useful for this specific task, but be sure to "chew it down" to remove the sharp point.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

b.

I would say that you'd be safe with a good soak in soapy water as it appears to be a british bronze medal without any specific surface finish.

regards

Alex

Oops double post

Edited by Alex K

I would agree with everything said regarding the use of warm water and a soft brush. The other thing I have always done is a to dry the washed area immediately after with the other halfs hair dryer on its lowest setting. The dry heat gets everywhere and ensures there is no water left in any of the medal detail.

• 5 months later...