News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Franco-Prussian Officer's Miniatures

I'm new to the group and I thought I'd start with a set of miniatures I picked up at a show in Nashville many years ago. It's very good quality with an enameled 1870 EKII and the Albert Order appears to be real gold. But, I was particularly interested in the 1870 campaign bars. The combination of Spicheren/Vion.-Mars La Tour/Grav.-St. Privat/Beaumont/Sedan/Mont Valerien/Paris does not appear to comply with any of the standard unit combos that I am aware of. Any thoughts?

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Is that the BEARDED, 1st Model WRONG Albert that was replaced in 1876 by the then-on "Prince Valiant" type?

Wow. I don't think I've ever seen a miniature of the first version.

Guest Rick Research

Which 1866 Cross is it?

I've found him-- these are his German awards only with foreigns omitted, but going to need more help than I can provide for 1866 and 1870. At least checking what unit he got his EK2 in will identify what he was doing then.

I'm still looking for any OTHER possible suspects.

Guest Rick Research

Nobody else but the one suspect. You'll need more 19th century military career and Prussian Orders dates data than I have with my focus on 1914-18. I can only do five generations of his family from the 18th to 20th centuries.

Papa is in here someplace:

what with having been the President of the North German League and official petitioner asking Wilhelm I to take the Imperial Crown of a new Second Reich on 18 December 1870. Papa M. Eduard (1810-1899-- President of the revolutionary (!) Frankfurt National Assembly in 1848) was hereditarily ennobled in 1888 by Kaiser Friedrich III making all descendants "von Simson" thereafter. (Grampa Zacharias died in 1871 age 91.)

He was August Eduard Simson. Glenn J's CD of EK2 recipients shows him as a Seconde Lieuetenant and 2. Adjutant, General Etappen Inspektion der Maas Armee, so that may explain the odd wandering 1870/71 bars. He was cavalry, but not serving regimentally. I don't have the Saxon Albert with Xs list for 1870/71.

August was born in 1837. Awards listed in the 1908/09 Orders Almanac (CD available from our Paul C) show him as Geheimer Justizrat, Rechtsanwalt und Notar, Oberleutnant der Landwehr Kavallerie a.D. living at Kielganstra?e 1, Beerlin W. He then had the EK2 and SA3aX, and lists LD1, 1870/71, 1897 (omitting an 1866 seems to have been quite common), Red Eagle 3 with Bow and then had advanced to a Crown Order 2nd. This mini chain either represents that in Kleindekoration form (which I doubt) or is from an earlier period when he had a Crown 3rd Class. You need actual award dates from the Prussian Ordenslisten which I do not have. As of 1908 he also had a French Legion of Honour-Officer and Russian St Anna 2nd Class.

He died in 1919, as revealed by the obituaries for his son Friedrich and grandson Friedrich-Karl in the WW1 Heldengedenkmappe:

Wife Beate Jonas died in 1913. A naval officer son survived the war to become a diplomat, as did a 3rd son who is in the 1935 Wer Ist's as a director of IG Farben--

rather a neat connection from the birth of the Second Reich to the death of the Third.

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: (Though it DOES look like Cornelius from "Planet of the Apes," alas! :cheeky: )

Who has the late Erhard Roth's 1998 Band XV of the Pre Krause & Yrs Trly Autengruber awards rolls series, listing 1870/71 Albert with Xs?

:Cat-Scratch: Is that the BEARDED, 1st Model WRONG Albert that was replaced in 1876 by the then-on "Prince Valiant" type?

Wow. I don't think I've ever seen a miniature of the first version.

... if you really really want to see these first type miniatures it seems that your colleques here can produce these in quantities - one slightly different from the one WildCard just presented!