News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help Identifying Lufwaffe Uniform and Insignia

This photo is of my late uncle Willy Burk wearing what appears to be a Luftwaffe tunic and garrison cap. This is very unusual since my uncle was a Gefreiter in the 1st Panzer Division (Regiment 1, 2. Kompanie). The only thing I can make of it is that he was posing wearing a buddie's uniform who was a member of a Flak Batterie attached to the 1st Pz. Div. Note the pants appear to be black and part of the tanker's uniform. The braided cordel on his right shoulder appears to be a Sch?ttzenschnur. Can anyone identify the patches, awards or rank?

Any interpretations, comments or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Here is Willy Burk wearing his panzer uniform. His unit was headquartered initially in Ehrfurt, Germany. He was a member of a Kampfgruppe or detachment captured outside of Berlin by the Russians. He was the radioman and machinegunner in a Panzer IV F2 and a Hetzer tank.

This photo is of my late uncle Willy Burk wearing what appears to be a Luftwaffe tunic and garrison cap. This is very unusual since my uncle was a Gefreiter in the 1st Panzer Division (Regiment 1, 2. Kompanie). The only thing I can make of it is that he was posing wearing a buddie's uniform who was a member of a Flak Batterie attached to the 1st Pz. Div. Note the pants appear to be black and part of the tanker's uniform. The braided cordel on his right shoulder appears to be a Sch?ttzenschnur. Can anyone identify the patches, awards or rank?

Any interpretations, comments or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hello!! Welcome to the GMIC. Can you please post a close up of your uncle in the Luftwaffe uniform? I am interested to see that badge on his left lower sleeve. The badge that he is wearing is a "SA" sports badge. The ribbon bar appears to be a Sudatenland Annexation medal with a Prague clasp.

You are correct, the lanyard he is wearing is to denote his weapon marksmanship skill!!

Regards

Paul

Thanks for the information, guys. Here's a closer view. Sorry if it's still a little fuzzy. Any idea of what type of unit the owner of this Fliegerbluse might have been affiliated with?

Thanks again for all the info.

I agree with Scott... it is a vehicle driver's trade badge.