News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

FAKE 1939EKII

It was a pleasure for the eyes, viewing mint/near-mint 1939 EKIIs on the recent thread... Years ago, I picked up this EKII, assuming it was fake, but it was prettier than any of the "used" ones available, and a heckuva lot cheaper... But as I compare it with these genuine pieces, I scratch my head and say, "Not so different..." So, what is it that gives it away on this one? Would the slightly raised Hakenkreuz be the tip-off? The flaking rim coating? Looking forward to something definitive!

thanks, guys! ---Cartoonman

So you're saying this EK is fake?....looks ok to me.

Have you got any larger photos of the Cross you could possibly post please.

Well, all those nice EKII examples started me wondering, actually. :rolleyes: I tried to contribute to GMIC, a while back, to be able to send larger samples, and my best efforts went KAFLOOIE :banger: , so I resigned myself to sending small files...

Quick answer: if you email me, I'll send you larger files... which you might then post with your comments.. I would LOVE that! Truly! :beer:

email: matertoons@gmail.com

---Gene (Cartoonman)

Gene -

From what I can see in the pictures, I don't have any immediate concerns about this cross either.

What makes you think it is a fake?

Regards - Danny

Er, well, this is a, well, rather pleasant turn of events! :jumping: Actually, as I mentioned, in the collecting I did in the long ago, this EK stood out, as "too nice," compared with the notably "used" examples I picked up elsewhere... So you think it' legit? I'm willing to go with that! Anybody else want to toss in their two farthings???

Thanks, Danny--- and thanks Dave for posting the pix! :P

---Potentially Happy Cartoonman :beer:

Oh, and I just remembered: I thought the "stepped swastika" was suspect... until I read in your (Danny's) collection of EKs, this:

MM-13:

Gustav Brehmer, Markneukirchen/Sa.

(Stepped swastika)

Was Brehmer the only producer of stepped swastika'ed EKs?

---Cartoonman

Oh, and I just remembered: I thought the "stepped swastika" was suspect... until I read in your (Danny's) collection of EKs, this:

MM-13:

Gustav Brehmer, Markneukirchen/Sa.

(Stepped swastika)

Was Brehmer the only producer of stepped swastika'ed EKs?

---Cartoonman

Gene,

I had completely forgotten I had posted up those crosses! I really must update that collection thread... lots of changes since then.

As to your question... Was Brehmer the only producer of stepped swastika'ed EKs?

As far as I am aware, yes, but not all '13's have this feature.... however there are also some 'Round 3's with a stepped swastika, but the maker of these crosses is not known.

"...this EK stood out, as "too nice,"

Gustav Brehmer is one of the makers whose crosses can often be found in surprisingly good condition (as can W&L '100's).

Regards - Danny

Edited by Danny70