News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Question on The Jubilee Medal for the 100th Anniversary of Lenin's Birth

Guest Rick Research

All in 1970, the Centennial year. Proportion of civil to military about 8:3. Not everyone got one, so despite the overwhelming numbers, there was SOME sort of "standard."

Guest Rick Research

I'm still trying to figure out how some Comrades did NOT get them-- and these were not dullards and slackers, either.

My Colonel Vozhachenko didn't get one-- I suspect because he was in North Vietnam :catjava: at the time :unsure: "off the books" so to speak. :rolleyes: But he went on to command a division in Afghanistan. Being "under the limit" certainly wasn't a black mark that let everybody know you didn't "rate."

So it can't have been that just the best of the best of the best (by the millions :speechless1: ) got these and "Sorry, Comrades! Quota's filled up" for the rest? (Say a factory had 2,000 employees-- 1,793 or so got 'em and the rest... eh? I don't know.....)

WHATEVER these were actually supposedly given quote-unquote for, it's JUST a jubilee medal and should never have been given the weird little suspension as if it was a Next Best Gold Star. THAT was dumb.

I'm still trying to figure out how some Comrades did NOT get them-- and these were not dullards and slackers, either.

My Colonel Vozhachenko didn't get one-- I suspect because he was in North Vietnam :catjava: at the time :unsure: "off the books" so to speak. :rolleyes: But he went on to command a division in Afghanistan. Being "under the limit" certainly wasn't a black mark that let everybody know you didn't "rate."

So it can't have been that just the best of the best of the best (by the millions :speechless1: ) got these and "Sorry, Comrades! Quota's filled up" for the rest? (Say a factory had 2,000 employees-- 1,793 or so got 'em and the rest... eh? I don't know.....)

WHATEVER these were actually supposedly given quote-unquote for, it's JUST a jubilee medal and should never have been given the weird little suspension as if it was a Next Best Gold Star. THAT was dumb.

Rick,

As you say, for a commemorative medal it sure got a high rating. According to McDaniels, the regulations on wear state "The Jubilee Medal "For Valourous Labour (for Military Valor) in commemoration of the 100th birthday of Vladimir Ilyitch Lenin" is worn on the left breast and when worn with other orders and medals of the USSR, is positioned on the extreme left and higher than other awards, yet below the medals "Gold Star" and "Sickle and Hammer" and in the absence of these medals, is worn in their position." Someone obviously thought it a high award!

Regards,

Gordon

• 5 months later...