News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

An interesting bar but probably not traceable... The Merit Order-Knight with Swords and Albert-Knight 1st Class with Swords should be a relatively uncommon combination especially given the Oldenburg Friedrich August Cross. But there are no Oldenburg rolls, correct? Probably retired as a Major with some connection between Saxony and Oldenburg.

Nice bar, but is that combination of 3b and 3a possible? I'm not sure about it, but there might someone have played with. There was a handfull of bars in "his" collection that had wrong replacements etc.

Interesting, I thought the merit cross could and was awarded with the Albrecht order (4,200 1st classes in 14-19!).

The higher class of the merit cross shows up on contemporary bars in the Saxon book.

Makes one think navy maybe?

Edited by Ulsterman

Guest Rick Research

One of the Saxon Orders has been swapped out. From the "line" I'd say the Albert should be a Knight 2X (SA3bX) not teh SA3aX here. They allowed both classes of Knight to be worn together, but for a Merit Knight 2nd, the officer would have had to have the Albert 2nd already and it's not there. The only people who got Merits as initial awards without Alberts were Beamten.

I wish I could figure out what and where and why there was ANY Oldenburg connection, since I have my own Inexplicable Saxon/Oldenburg combos. There were so few listed by the late Erhard Roth that there is no "pattern" explaining any common divisional assignment or something as logical as that.

Guys - thanks for the feedback. With this type of bar (especially given the frayed ribbon and exposed hooks) it is certainly feasible that the wrong Albert Order is on the bar (no need to hope for a possible explanation). It's funny that the wrong medal is of the higher grade - usually when bars have been switched, the one of lesser value is added as a replacement.

Brian

Edited by Brian R