News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Lengths of US Ribbon

Hi all,

Are there any websites where I can buy lengths of ribbon for US medals?

I have a group that I would like to mount for display myself, but I can't seem to find anywhere where I can buy ribbon to do the job.

I've tried several of the big US medal mounting websites and they all say they can't help me.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Marco

Guest Rick Research

Back in the Days Before The Internet (1990s) I constantly got catalogs from U.S. awards makers who could supply every imaginable insignia, patch, and ribbon-- and they all mounted up medals (preferably their own :rolleyes: ).

I suggest you google search (however that is done) "U.S. Awards, manufacturers" or whatever works googling. Those places must all be online now since I haven't had a catalog in years. There should be no legal restrictions on buying ribbon, despite peculiar American regulations.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Sorry for the delayed reply on my part. Thanks for the suggestions.

Rick, I tried that but unfortunately none of these websites seem willing to sell lengths of ribbon. It seems strange to me, because as you mentioned they seem to sell every possible badge, patch, medal etc....huge stock lists (for example USAMilitaryMedals.com) - they just don't seem to want to sell ribbon per length. I've tried several now and they either don't respond or tell me they're sorry but they can't help with my request and have no idea who would be able to.

At the moment my only option seems to be Ed Haynes suggestion - and no I'm not currently a member :( As I don't usually collect US Medals (this is a once off job) it seems silly for me to join the OMSA just to have access to the ribbon bank. I just can't understand why US ribbon is so difficult to get hold of - surely there must be someone who sells it?

I even asked a collector friend of mine who is currently serving in the US Army and he didn't know of anyone selling the stuff either.

Thanks,

Marco

I know that US Navy Uniform sales stores engage in mounting medals (after destroying the originals with huge scissors (much quicker taking the original awards apart that way!!!).

They then use yukky new synthetic ribbon to mount the awards on bars.

I suspect that one able to access these stores would be allowed to purchase lengths of ribbon directly from their local stock.

Know any sailors???

Hi guys,

Sorry for the delayed reply on my part. Thanks for the suggestions.

Rick, I tried that but unfortunately none of these websites seem willing to sell lengths of ribbon. It seems strange to me, because as you mentioned they seem to sell every possible badge, patch, medal etc....huge stock lists (for example USAMilitaryMedals.com) - they just don't seem to want to sell ribbon per length. I've tried several now and they either don't respond or tell me they're sorry but they can't help with my request and have no idea who would be able to.

At the moment my only option seems to be Ed Haynes suggestion - and no I'm not currently a member :( As I don't usually collect US Medals (this is a once off job) it seems silly for me to join the OMSA just to have access to the ribbon bank. I just can't understand why US ribbon is so difficult to get hold of - surely there must be someone who sells it?

I even asked a collector friend of mine who is currently serving in the US Army and he didn't know of anyone selling the stuff either.

Thanks,

Marco

what medal ribbons do you need?

Hi Ulsterman - Apologies for butting in here, but your response makes me think you could help - I am desperatly looking for some lengths (6-8 inches or more if you can) of mini US medal ribbon. If you can help, here is what I need: Air medal, Dist Flying Cross, Republic of Korea medal, Purple Heart, Air Service USA, Defence Meritorius Service, USAF Cross, Navy&Marine Corps Medal & Selected Marine Corps Service.

I have tried numerous sites with no joy, so you are pretty much my last hope - I have a Paypal account to pay by.

Kind regards, Gary

• 2 weeks later...

alas-sorry, I have no mini medals ribbon. But Medals of America i think does. let me call.

Hi again, Thanks for your help here. I have found someone who is willing to help - Vangard Industries, they sell by the yard - I have placed an order with them and am still waiting for delivery. I'll let you know if they come through.

Cheers, Gary

Hi all,

Are there any websites where I can buy lengths of ribbon for US medals?

I have a group that I would like to mount for display myself, but I can't seem to find anywhere where I can buy ribbon to do the job.

I've tried several of the big US medal mounting websites and they all say they can't help me.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Marco

Hi Marco.

Try Vanguard Industries - http://www.vanguardmil.com/store/index.php?main_page=index click on Medals and Ribbons.

They managed to help me.

Regards,

Gary

• 1 year later...

Hi Gary

Sorry I did not see your reply until now!

Thanks very much for the link - I contacted them and they were very helpful. I've managed to buy a yard of each of the ribbons I was missing and they are currently on their way to me!

Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Marco

• 3 weeks later...

Getting US medal ribbon is a pain in the butt. OMSA ribbon bank is fine when they respond (you did not use to be a member). I got this reply from "UltraThin Ribbons & Medals". Nikki Payne [NPayne@ultrathin.com]

Captain Albert,

The cost to purchase 6 inches of ribbon is $3.00 plus shipping. Depending on what ribbon you need to purchase will depend if we are able to sell the ribbon alone.

Best regards,

Nikki Payne

1-800-758-7265

M-F 8:00AM-5:00PM CST

UltraThin Ribbons & Medals

PO Box 7128

Moore, OK 73153

This is a definite. They probably supply the mini ribbon also. If you only need a few - Let me know I bought 1 yard lengths of certain ribbons - very good quality. Cheers Captain Albert

What about trying Quaterdeck militaria out of Australia? For some reason this guy is allowed to make Medal of Honor Replicas. I am sorry to say, but unlike our European friends, Most US military medals are easy to come by and are cheap to get. One suggestion that i have, if you really want to mount yur specifics is to buy a current issued medal that you have and destroy it so you can mount yours. Or how about just buying the medals how you would like them mounted and keep your originals (if they are old) in the safe. Try medals of america. They make the special flat ribbon bars and might have length of ribbon for sale. I have never heard this for US medals because they are so cheap to get.

The next thing that you need to figure out is if you want the US Army/Air Force style of mounting or the US Navy/Marine style of mounting. They are different.

I am speaking from experience because I am a member of the US Military Forces myself.

ostprussenmann.