News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

It wasn't particularly just the pin detail I was refering to ,the front of badge is exactly the same die detail as the square punch badges too. I have some good close up pictures of the said badge (square punch) I will try to dig them out. Certainly my Bavarian square punch pilot example is same detail too.Ferg1.

It wasn't particularly just the pin detail I was refering to ,the front of badge is exactly the same die detail as the square punch badges too. I have some good close up pictures of the said badge (square punch) I will try to dig them out. Certainly my Bavarian square punch pilot example is same detail too.Ferg1.

Here an observer badge with square punch.

1vydHd4pJXZ3.jpg

ro5oWcGZ23cZ.jpg

and an pilot badge out of a group

v8uwHfFVxhpo.jpg

CSung2pbFJzi.jpg

Regards Alex

I will add some images of the similar one with no punch tonight. There are other characteristics that don't exactly match. This may be strictly to hand-finishing of silver badges; but I'll let you fellows with better eyes figure that out!

:off topic: I've always found it singularly frustrating that the square punch mark has eluded identification. I have a badge as well with one. Very well made clich? and looks a lot like Richard Gordon's badge, but with the square punch on the pin.

This maker that uses the square punch, I refer to it as the quadrat maker or just "quadrat", however I'm not convinced they are the badge maker. We see other punch marks as well like stars.

Nice badge Richard. I have one in my collection just like it without the mark too. The construction of the pin and hinge are very similar.

This maker that uses the square punch, I refer to it as the quadrat maker or just "quadrat", however I'm not convinced they are the badge maker. We see other punch marks as well like stars.

Genau. Until someone discovers the Rosetta Stone for this quadrat mark little can be said about its original purpose or use.

Maybe someone who interest is in early 20th century German metal markings already discovered it, but who's society we are not familiar with. I think everyone knows that English silver/gold marks are a study in themselves with their own communities and forums.

Guys

Very interesting to read this thread and see the examples being compared to. Here's close-up of the badge to compare with Alex's example. While I see a lot of similarities they do seem to be different in the section I've marked out but that might be down to comparing with a lower resolution pic.

Do you think the windows on the building on the right within the red section differ to Alex's?

Rich

Guys

Very interesting to read this thread and see the examples being compared to. Here's close-up of the badge to compare with Alex's example. While I see a lot of similarities they do seem to be different in the section I've marked out but that might be down to comparing with a lower resolution pic.

Do you think the windows on the building on the right within the red section differ to Alex's?

Rich

I will have to look at mine when I get home.

Hi Rich, looks like yours but more worn. The same buildings and windows.

I think the badge is cleaned

8386ivbUyhiT.jpg

Regards Alex

Edited by jaba1914

Alex

Thanks for the extra close-up. Yes, the windows do look the same but yet I still see differences! Check out this leaf... especially the dots. See mine has only 2 rows, yours has three!

Would you agree?

Rich

Edited by Richard Gordon

• 1 year later...