News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Hannover Langensalza medal is not rare. It was given to soldiers who fought the Prussian's in I think 1866. The Hannover's lost an were incorporated into the greater German reich. There should be a name engraved on the rim of the medal. If so please post the name.

It was awarded to all Hannoverian participants in the Battle of Langensalza, Hannover's only part in the Seven Weeks (Austro-Prussian) War. Hannover won the battle, but, being surrounded by the Prussians, surrendered 2 days later.

Considering the total strength of Hannover's army was 19,000, we have a good indication of how many were awarded.

They were all named, probably due to Hannover's close ties with Britain and British tradition.

Not un-ironically, The Prussian King actually (re) authorized the medal after Hanover was absorbed into Prussia and the Hanovarian King went into exile.

A Hanoverian rank-list from the era would show the officers. There is rumored to be a medal roll of some sort, if only an order-of-battle, out there somewhere.

I checked my 1865 Hannover State and Court Handbook which does have a army ranklist section. There are several K?hlers listed but no one with the first initial H.

Edited by Paul C

• 11 years later...