News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown DDR badge...

Chris its a outstanding badge called the Leistungsabzeichen der Nationalen Volksarmee. This version was issued from 1959 to 1990. There is an older version issued from 1956 to 1959 without the round state symbol in the flag. Would it be possible to show a photo of the back? Kevin

Hi,

Here you go, maybe the pin is not the original?

it is a superd heavy piece, has nothing in comman with the usual DDr stuff quality wise.....

Chris, Did you post a photo? If so it's not showing up. From the front it looks like an older badge, perhaps from the 60s or early 70s. The rule of thumb with DDR insignia is the older it is the higher quality it is. Once you get into the 80s they started cutting corners on materials and quality is just not the same as the early stuff.

Edited by ehrentitle

Guest Rick Research

Same pin was ued for ribboned medals and single ribbon bars. "C" catch seems to be "fairly early" from what I have seen.

Same pin was ued for ribboned medals and single ribbon bars. "C" catch seems to be "fairly early" from what I have seen.

It appears to be an older badge with a replacement catch from a ribbon bar. Below is my Leistungsabzeichen der NVA from the 70s or 80s with a simular catch. Follow this link to the WAF DDR forum and this thread shows differences in construction of the pin for different eras: http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/sho...ead.php?t=75364

Edited by ehrentitle

Chris,

If you look at the thread ehrentitle provided you will see that your pin does not appear to be like any of those shown. I do not beleive it is a DDR pin. I participated in a thread on the DDR forum of the WAF that discussed only DDR pins and the latches/catches that were used at different time periods. If I can find it I'll post the link to it.

Regards,

Gordon

Chris,

If you look at the thread ehrentitle provided you will see that your pin does not appear to be like any of those shown. I do not beleive it is a DDR pin. I participated in a thread on the DDR forum of the WAF that discussed only DDR pins and the latches/catches that were used at different time periods. If I can find it I'll post the link to it.

Regards,

Gordon

Hi,

I am sure I am the first collector to have this in his hands. I paid EUR2 for it at the flea market this morning, it was in a cooking pot filled with old DDR stickpins, coins, thimbles, matchboxes, dice, scraps of paper, bits of thread, you name it. It may not have come from the factory like this, but the contents of the pot were not collector oriented, more like the old junk you get when you tip the contents of some desk drawers together. I would bet noone has REALLY had this in his hand since the original wearer tossed it in his writing desk drawer a few decades ago. Maybe he repaired it and put a new catch on it, but I would bet a cold beer noone has bothered to look at this in 20-30 years.

best

Chris

Hi Chris,

your badge is the last but one version, darkened and with a repaired (exchanged) pin.

ehrentitle show the version before your version, with the smooth back.

This is the reverse with the correct pin, with a recess at the back for the pin:

And this is an example for the exchanged pin from a Interimsspange (Reichsbahn):

Regards

Uwe