News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all. Sorry to be such a "dumpkoff" but I wonder if members can identify this rather strange "Iron Cross" Is it a non-combatants (red cross staff ) ?? Would be grateful if someone can identify this and perhaps tell me a little more about it. Also,if possible to provide a better picture, Obv & reverse. Many thanks in advance. Jeff

Edited by Jeff Mc William

Mike. Have I read this correctly ??

On the "..ordensmuseum.." site you kindly gave me it says that a total of 2997 awards were given,of which less than 100 were of non-German origin,and 3 were awarded to men !!

Any idea who these three men were ? Was one by any chance Surgeon W.G.N.Manley VC of the British Army attached to the Prussian 22nd Inf Div ? Whoever they were, this sounds most unusual ! Jeff

Edited by Jeff Mc William

On the "..ordensmuseum.." site you kindly gave me it says that a total of 2997 awards were given,of which less than 100 were of non-German origin,and 3 were awarded to men !!

Any idea who these three men were ? Was one by any chance Surgeon W.G.N.Manley VC of the British Army attached to the Prussian 22nd Inf Div ? Whoever they were, this sounds most unusual ! Jeff

I think he actually received the proper Iron Cross with non-com ribbon

Alex

Yes, ca. 3000 awards and 3 to men.

Vorsteher der Evangelical Deakonnesses Institution, Tottenham Green, London, Dr. med. Laseron

Director der Diakonissen-Anstalt zu Dresden, Pastor Fr?hlich

Vorsteher des Diakonissenhauses zu Treysa, Metropolitan Franz von Roques

and here some other interesting awards.

Miss Clara Barton zu Boston

Miss Anna Thacker zu London

Miss Florence Nightingale zu London

Miss Florence Lees zu S. Leonard's-on-Sea, Grafschaft Sussex

Greetings Mike

Gentlemen: Thank you both very much for your information and expert guidance on this most intriguing topic.

Alex; So I guess I can rule out Manley as one of the three male recipients. However, I must say it would still be interesting to know who these people were !

Mike; You mention Florence Nightingale. It is to our eternal shame that she and her nursing staff (some of whom died on active duty) never received any awards from Britain...not even the "bog standard" campaign medal..specifically for their services in the Crimea, although I do believe that Miss Nightingale herself received a special broach which was presented to her by Queen Victoria. A disgraceful lapse of appreciation for these fine women's service and sacrifice.

Guest Rick Research

"Miss Clara Barton zu Boston" Boston! Boston!!! Never! :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

Yet another of my cousins (1821-1912) and buried in the family plot in North Cemetery (wedged between the new police station and yet another of our scenic swamps) on The Island.

She had been a nurse in our Civil War and was the founder and long time president of the American Red Cross.

Yes, ca. 3000 awards and 3 to men[size="6"].

Greetings Mike

I assume they were virgins. :rolleyes:

Edited by dond

May be or a little operation. :rolleyes:

Greetings Mike

:cheers: I would prefer to say "forced by their professions to be a virgin" :rolleyes:

It would be very interesting to know, if these three men also wear the ribbon in the bow-style like the women did.

Best regards

Solomon