News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Herr Doktor?! (solved: Stabsarzt dL Dr. Arthur Baumstark)

I'm having this framed, nice portrait for some years now and realized it it still actually not named. It has the name handwritten, but... can someone read it? I could not...

I think it most likely has to be OSA dL aD Dr. Karl Fähndrich who can be found with exactely this three awards on the (pre-war) medal bar: LD1, BFL, RKM3. But he is listed with a BZ3aX, not BZ3bXE!

:catjava:

Do you think it is still him, and how can this happen?

post-1172-125095500715.jpg

Edited by saschaw

Guest Rick Research

Looks like "Baumstock" to me. Now I go in search of a Baumstock... set clocks.

(I have never seen this photo before-- what else are you hiding on us?)

Guest Rick Research

Stabsarzt dL I Dr. Baumstark (LWB Karlsruhe) added PrRKM3 to his PrLD1 between May 1913 and May 1914 Rank Lists.

Well okay, not Fähndrich... :D thank you!

On 22/08/2009 at 17:44, Rick Research said:

(I have never seen this photo before-- what else are you hiding on us?)

If you knew...

:catjava:

Edited by saschaw

• saschaw changed the title to Herr Doktor?!

Still in my collection and still one of my favorite portraits, so I did some additional research. This must be Dr. Artur Baumstark, who received Baden's Friedrich-Luisen-Medaille as praktischer Arzt on June 11, 1909... right?

BaumstarkArturDr.-BFLam11_06_1909.thumb.jpeg.bc90946b656bbbb2ea6340a113474f2b.jpeg

On 22/08/2009 at 18:09, Rick Research said:

(...) added PrRKM3 to his PrLD1 between May 1913 and May 1914 Rank Lists.

Rick was right, of course. Dr. Baumstark's RKM3 Erlaubnis zur Annahme und zum Tragen dates to the first quarter of 1914. Here, he's listed more precisely as a praktischer Arzt in Karlsruhe-Mühlburg - and yes, that's the neighborhood I spent my early childhood in!

BaumstarkArturDr.-RKM31914.thumb.jpeg.3e4fbdb15462cb8e5d06abeef8eec7c0.jpeg

It seems noteworthy Baden's Staatsanzeiger für das Großherzogtum Baden, 1914 issue, did not accomplish to combine information on the pre-war civil doctor with the war-time Stabsarzt der Landwehr. He's listed as if he were two different persons!

A lousy job, but luckily, we can fix such 100+-year-old errors today... !

:whistle:

BaumstarkArturDr.-Index1914.thumb.jpeg.184d1d79fed27bd71c38abb121916007.jpeg

I wonder if his medal bar, the one worn in the picture or an "updated" one, still exists... someone, maybe?

;)

Edited by saschaw

• 1 month later...
    • saschaw changed the title to Herr Doktor?! (solved: Stabsarzt dL Dr. Arthur Baumstark)

His Baden Order of the Zahinger Lion 2nd class with Oak leaves and Sword award was announced as part of the Reserve Infantry Regiment 109 in the Badische Landes-Zeitung, Mittagsblatt on Wednesday April 11, 1914. page 4

2780403 (4788×6624)

Regards

Chuck