News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi All....Just picked up this NCO U-boat cap named to Ernst Lutz from the U591.Note the scalloped Brass field upgrade.

Any opinions on the cap appreciated.

Best...Peter

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2009/post-3147-125219352219.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2009/post-3147-12521935439.jpg

Edited by Peter Baillie

Hello Peter,

At this time I think that the cap is propably a good one but restored or upgraded, more pictures are necessary. I like some parts but some other a little less.

Which material inside ?

Gaze on the upside lining ?

Part on the front side ?

Close up picture of the visor sewing ?

Close up picture of the buttons sewing ?

Close up picture of the sweatband sewing ?

The name "Lutz" inside, but why U-591, other U-Boot Officers had the same name.

Best regards,

Michel

Hi All....Just picked up this NCO U-boat cap named to Ernst Lutz from the U591.Note the scalloped Brass field upgrade.

Any opinions on the cap appreciated.

Best...Peter

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2009/post-3147-125219352219.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2009/post-3147-12521935439.jpg

Hi , this not a NCO cap but rather an Officers cap. You can see the "Keksrand" that has been made out of brass. My father had a similar one and the brass was painted with luminescent paint so he could be recognized at night. I still have it in my posession

regards

Fregatte

Peter is correct, his is an NCO cap, but one which has been altered for use by an officer. Officer caps have the peak covered with blue cloth.

Peter, am I right in assuming the stiffener inside the cap band is celluloid material rather than the pasteboard / card type material you find in Army/Luft caps.

Looks like a nice original , modified, cap.

Peter is correct, his is an NCO cap, but one which has been altered for use by an officer. Officer caps have the peak covered with blue cloth.

Peter, am I right in assuming the stiffener inside the cap band is celluloid material rather than the pasteboard / card type material you find in Army/Luft caps.

Looks like a nice original , modified, cap.

Hi Gordon, thanks for the positive replies everyone ...The stiffener I'd describe as a grey crisscross hard material(not pasteboard IMO).

I think Lutz was one of the survivor's and went into captivity 30.07.43 (I assume in the US) so maybe this cap may have been a field promotion on an earlier patrol...then left at home or on the base, hence the condition and why it's surfaced now.

Michel....you're right, not textbook but pleased this one's a nice original.

Best...Peter

• 1 year later...

since i know little of these caps,

could you explain the significance of the metal band added to the visor?

also the embroidered figures on the strap??

my thanks!

joe

NCO caps had a shiny black compressed fibre peak, whereas officer caps had a cloth covered peak, the edge trim being embroidered in gold wire / yellow celleon thread. The design of the trim indicated rank grouping - a narrow scalloped trim as shown here indicated ranks from Leutnant to Kapitänleutnant, a wider band, of oakleaf design, indicated Korvettenkapitän to Kapitän, and a double row of oakleaves from Kommodore to Grossadmiral.

Within these rank bandings, specific rank was indicated the the sleeve rings on the reefer jacket, or by shoulder straps on other jackets.

It was quite common where a senior NCO was promoted to officer rank, that an old cap rather then being discarded, was upgraded either by adding a correct officer style peak, or by adding hand made (as in Peter's cap) or purpose made metal trim to replicate the embroidered trim.

The markings on the chinstrap of the cap immediately above, were added by the original owner -each one indicating a ship sunk by his boat.

- i would imagine these

sailors became quite attached to an "old friend".

joe

You are absolutely correct Joe. I have photos of some amazingly shabby old caps and tunics still being worn by U-Boat officers. Of course they all had some nice dress uniforms available too, but clearly some had their particular favourite tunic or cap that they wore until it literally fell to pieces.

You are absolutely correct Joe. I have photos of some amazingly shabby old caps and tunics still being worn by U-Boat officers. Of course they all had some nice dress uniforms available too, but clearly some had their particular favourite tunic or cap that they wore until it literally fell to pieces.

Hi!

Gordon

Please show us Your Photos.:jumping::jumping::jumping::cheers:

All the best :beer:

Morten.