News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Say Hallo to LtdR Arnold Kuschel

:whistle:

Here is a new ribbon bar in my slowly growing collection it belonged to LtdR Arnold Kuschel from Danziger Inf Rgt 128 he was also awarded EK I and Wound badge in Gold and served later in Reichswehr Rgt 34.

And before you throw yourself at the computer and scream that its impossible to name someone from that bar :D

I had help from Rick (who else) putting my Lt in der Reserve,I got some papers belonging to this group and the same seller earlier sold some more objects from the same man. (sorry to say I missed theese EK, WB)

More will follow after lunch! Christer

And here is Award cert for the Bulgarian WW1 Com medal

(quite small to be Bulgarian ;) only 10" x 8" app) this one is signed Nov 30 1939 wich means that the second world war had begun... rather high number on the award cert. 56432.

Danziger 128 Inf Rgt was part of 36th Inf Div and fought on the Eastern front in beginning of WW1, in October 1915 it was moved to France and fought in most of the bloodiest battles, Somme, Passchendaele and so on.

Christer

:beer:

And last a document for the Bulgarian Bravery Cross for officers, by some reason (did he lost the original?)

he got this copy written out at his post in December 1919. He was then part of Reichswehr Inf Rgt 34 fighting in Poland. It looks like a adress in Berlin written on it? and the date 1939? anyone who can read it :unsure:

Christer

Hi Christophe,

I am not at home with my Epson right now , but I try to make a little better pic :blush:

When I am home again I can get a much better zoom on it.

I was outbidded on the cert for the Hamburg Cross, but from sellers pics I think it was awarded in 1917.If the list for the Hansa Crosses ever will be available he will turn up there.

Best regards

Christer

Edited by christerd

• 4 weeks later...

:ninja:

The Lt Arnold Kuschler has surfaced again ! Now is his paper for EK II, EK I and wound badge in Gold out for sale

probably I will not be able to buy them :banger::banger::banger: and so another great group will be splitted for ever.....

But the last paper show him as Hauptmann in Gren Erz Bat 492 in Oct 1942 he was in Res Lazarett Bad Bramstedt maybe wounded again? for 6th time

Hold your thumbs that I get the documents and a nice group from the great war will be kept united :rolleyes:

Christer

:ninja:

The Lt Arnold Kuschler has surfaced again ! Now is his paper for EK II, EK I and wound badge in Gold out for sale

probably I will not be able to buy them :banger::banger::banger: and so another great group will be splitted for ever.....

But the last paper show him as Hauptmann in Gren Erz Bat 492 in Oct 1942 he was in Res Lazarett Bad Bramstedt maybe wounded again? for 6th time

Hold your thumbs that I get the documents and a nice group from the great war will be kept united :rolleyes:

Christer

:jumping:

Yes , I got the EK II document, Wound Badge in Gold two documents but was outbidded on the EK I document (sold for 64 Euro....)

to bad the wallet isn´t big enough to keep theese groups together :(

Christer

• 2 weeks later...

At last I have my Arnold Kuschel collection , sad to say I missed a couple of important documents and a medalbar but I got the most of it.

To start from the beginning (and of course its a mixture of guesses and facts)

He was a one year volunteer from Hamburg starting in Danziger Infantrie Regiment 128, maybe in 1909-10?

Probably he made a good impression to the company commander and he continued to be a officer aspirant in the reserve.

When the War broke out in 1914 he was a LtdR in Inf Rgt 128 belonging to Infanterie Brigade 71 in turn belonging to Inf Div 36. This division fought on the Eastern front in the beginning of the war,and it explains why he later got a Bulgarian award. In October 1915 the division was moved to the Western front and LtdR Arnold Kuschel was now in one of the bloodiest battles of the war, the Battle of Somme July-Nov 1916...

He was awarded the Iron Cross II class in August 3rd 1916, the temporary certificate is signed August 12 1916 during the battle. It looks like its signed from one Von Metzler? rank ? anyone?

More to come !

Well Our Lt survived the Somme and later he got the standard award from his home state the Hamburg Cross.

(this document I failed to get :banger: , so the tiny pic is from the seller) awarded in 1916 I think.

Christer

Edited by christerd

Arnold Kuschel seems to have been in frontline duty and had his share of the bullits and shrapnel that flew around the trenches, but he still survived. July 3rd 1918 he got one of the most respected awards the Verwundeten Abzeichen in Mattgelb, or Woundbadge in Gold. In Gold it was awarded for 5 or moore wounds, but since there was no Wound badge before March 1918, Arnold Kuschel probably got this for wounds he had recived during 1914- summer 1918.

Amazing that he was still alive in July 1918.....

First the preliminary Document signed by some Major.

Christer

Before the War ended he also got a Award from Bulgaria, in 6th September 1918 he was awarded the Military Order of Merit with crown, most probably 5th class.

Observe that this document is signed by the Rgts Führer of Reichswehr Rgt 34 in Danzig December 5th 1919, yes so our resrve Leutnant has now been in a new fight. Now in Reichswehr Rgt34 fighting in Poland if I am correct ? :unsure:

Anyone has info about this Reichswehr unit? InfRgt 34

I have a pic of the Bulgarian award in question borrowed from Rick in another thread ( I hope you dont mind showing it here Rick :blush: ) Its the ONLY pic I found on this award...

Christer

Lt dR Arnold Kuschler seeems to be a real fighter because in December 1919 he was awarded a EK I ?

Or is it just a replacement document for a award got in WW1 ? I can´t tell because I didn´t get the doc... sold for a very high prce to someone else :banger:

here is a pic from the seller , small bad pic....

But I got something else :cheeky:

Coming up next !

Christer

Now the fighting has ended and we read 1934, Arnold lives in Hamburg and maybe he wants to look like a "real" officer :rolleyes: so he apply for the Hungarian medal for participating in WW1 , wich he gets in January 1934 with some paper .

First a paper from Oberst aD von Farkas gratulating to the award

christer