News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Identification of 2 ribbons - Waldeck or Reuss ... ?

Got this nice picture recently and beeing a little bit confused on the 3rd and 4th ribbon on the ribbonbar.

The ribbons are:

EK2 with Wiederholungsspange

Ostmedaille

?

?

Frontfightercross

Finnland Libertycross with swords 3rd or 4th class

as well he is wearing a EK1 with Wiederholungsspange

The shoulderboards are not fully vissible what makes it hard to id the attachement properly. At least his rank should be Hauptmann on the pic.

As the picture is made by the Fotographer Spoerl in Gera, i would assume that no. 3 and 4 on the ribbonbar came from Reuss - what are your thoughts?

Guest Rick Research

Waldeck-- "white" ribbon for X awards.

Too bad no name since the Rolls are done. :banger: Can't tell who any WW1 pair belonged to with no "paper trail" to follow-- and he was a reservist-- no long service awards. :banger:

Guest Rick Research

Not without the name, because there are TOO MANY Waldeck "pairs"-- Order 3rd and 4th/Order 4th and Merit Cross/Merit Cross and Medal....

Also, especially in the Medal classes, first names are omitted, making the usual Schmidt-und-Müller identities hard to match up.

A name on this one would have been very very useful. Sigh.

True!

But wouldn't he be in the group with 3rd/4th Order (instead of Medal and Cross), as he is without LS award, i expect him to be a Leutnant/Oberleutnant in WW1 and became Hauptmann in WW2.

Do you know, if there was a reuss unit engaged in finnish wars? Or rather a navy award?

Guest Rick Research

Yup, Leutnant/Leutnant dR in WW1... maybe out as an Oberleutnant. Hauptmann zV or Hptm dR zV... so many variables.

Since there were no units from Reuss in Finland in 1918, he'd have had to be a stray (oh for his name! :banger: ) or-- that is a 1941+ Cross of Liberty.

• 3 years later...

I have found only 30 officers from 3. GUR who received Waldeck Verdienstkreuz 4. Kl m. X during WW1 but non received higher class.

Christophe

I'd narrow it down to those who were commissioned during the war, since he's probably someone who received the Verdienstmedaille as a Fähnrich or Vfw.d.R.