News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

General Orlov's Presentation Shoulder Board

Chuck In Oregon

This is a solid silver presentation piece to General-Lieutenant Vitali Firsovich Orlov. It is a silver representation of his shoulder board, but without stars. It is proofed and maker marked, with his stylized initials -- they really knew how to stylize letters back in the day -- on the left and the shoulder board n the right, and his command at the bottom.

This actually came off of a pretty impressive presentation hunting rifle. For those of you who might not know it, Georgia has been a hunting getaway for Russian royalty ever since there was Russian royalty. Anyway, it was offered to me but I couldn't get it home, so I declined. Then they said "What about the silver piece?" I declined, saying that I didn't want to damage the rifle. Before I could object, they had popped it off the rifle stock, gouging the beautiful circassian walnut stock in the process. Oh well.

Gen. Orlov was chief of the #6 Trans-Caucasus Border Guard District, headquartered at #77 Cherkoviaski St. in Tbilisi, Georgia. The 6th District consisted of the following:

1. #25 Black Sea Brigade, Batumi, Georgia

2. #26 Karsk City Brigade (wiped out in detail in WW II)

3. #27 Yerevan Brigade

4. #28 Elizabethpol Brigade (my notes fail me on this one)

5. #29 Baku Brigade

I have at least one other silver presentation item like this one. They seem to have been pretty popular items in the day.

OK, your turn.

Chuck

Very nice!

What a shame though!!! I do agree with George regarding the picture.

I'm surprised a Russian collector didn't pick-up the whole thing!

When were you offered this?

Thanks!

Rusty.

I think this was in late 2003 or so. Yes, a photo would have been nice, but I really didn't expect the opportunity.

Chuck

Guest Rick Research

This is Tsarist and not Soviet? That board (no rank stars depicted, though) is an EXACT match for the M1943, colors and all!

This is Tsarist and not Soviet? That board (no rank stars depicted, though) is an EXACT match for the M1943, colors and all!

I have made no end of mistakes in my life, so now you've made me wonder if I haven't made another one. Perhaps Steen Ammentorp can tell us more about General Orlov. Now that I think of it, the Trans-Caucasus Border Guard District may well have been an early Soviet district, rather than Imperial. That makes sense. If so, I apologize. Nice catch. You've really got me wondering.

Chuck

I am sorry that I can't be of much help on this one. I very much doubt that he was a WW2 general and I feel reasonably confident that I at least have the names of all the Soviet generals and admirals of WW2. He could of course be a post WW2 general but somehow I doubt it based on the info given by Chuck and he isn't mentioned in Michael Parrish's Soviet Security and Intelligence Organizations 1917-1990 A Biographical Dictionary and Review of Literature in English (though full of omissions).

Nor have I found reference to him as one of those being repressed by the regime, and his not among the former Tsarist generals who obtained a high rank (at least kombrig) in the Red Army. I have also checked my WW1 generals' database (admittedly not big) and I have no reference to him here either.

I think that he is either a pre-WW1 or a WW1 Tsarist general. Though not my turf but it is my understanding that the M1943 epaulettes were practically identical to the former Tsarists however I don't know whether the Border Guards had continued to use the same colour.

Sorry that I can't be of further assistance.

Kind Regards

Steen Ammentorp

The Generals of World War II

Edited by Steen Ammentorp

• 1 month later...

Hi,

There was a discussion about Border Guards here :

http://hydrogen.pallasweb.com/cgi-bin/yabb...;num=1136978548

It is stated that from their foundation in 1893, Border Guards' distinctive color was Light Green.

For illustration's sake, the photo on the left has been identified as showing Border Guards (you can notice though that two of the sitters feature in both photos) :

IPB Image

The Hussars on the right belong to the 7th Hussar Byelorussia Regiment. Apparently the Border Guard was a professional force and mainly recruited men who had completed their military service.