News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Meet Leutnant Hans-Roland Krug von Nidda

Dear forumites,

I'd like to show a nice group I recently acquired.

St. Heinrich Orden citation:

Krug v. Nidda, Roland, Lt. u. Ordonnanzoffz. im St d. K.S. 192. Inf.-Div.; geb. 20.8.1895 in Dresden, im Frieden stud. Jur.; beliehen am 02.11.1918

Am ersten Tage der Tankschlacht an der Avre, dem 8.8.1918, zeichnete sich Lt. Krug v. Nidda vom Stabe der 192. Inf.-Div. dadurch ganz besonders aus, dass er bei einer Erkundungspatrouille in und bei Caix starke feindliche Kräfte erkannt und sofort und aus eigenem Entschluss einige Versprengte und Leichtverwundete zusammenraffte, mehrere Abwehrnester bildete und diese kleine Schar durch sein persönliches Beispiel zu so energischer und tapferer Abwehr fortriss, dass das weitere Vorgehen des Feindes verhindert wurde. Erst als die vordersten Teile der herangeholten Verstärkungen eintrafen, begab er sich zum Divisionsstab zurück.

• Preussen, Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse, 1914 (OEK 1909)

• Sachsen-Königreich, Ritterkreuz St. Heinrich-Orden (OEK 2088)

• Sachsen-Königreich, ZVO RK 2. Klasse mit Schwertern (OEK 2155)

• Sachsen-Königreich, Albrechtsorden 2. Kl. mit Schwertern (OEK 2212)

• Deutsches Reich 1933-45, Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer (OEK 3803), Hersteller KM&F Kallenbach, Meyer & Francke, Luckenwalde

• Weimarer Republik, Schlesisches Bewährungsabzeichen, sog. Schlesischer Adler 2. Stufe, 1919-1921 (OEK 3303)

Picture of the medal bar (front):

Edited by Claudio

I do not find him in the Sachen 1914 Rangliste. It looks like he entered service Dec. 1913. I would say any of his awards are wartime. Also the rangliste list a GL with the same last name so maybe it is his father, also there are 2 LT with the same last name so maybe brothers. A very nice purchase.

Guest Rick Research

Terrific group, Claudio. Finding things despite Gunzenhausen?

Saxons are beyond my knowledge-- best bet is to try C. A. Starke Verlag, Limburg a. d. Lahn for their amazing (and apparently rapidly out of print) genealogies of German noble families. The Krugs von Nidda must be among their many volumes unless that's one that's gone out of stock.

Thanks for the comment Rick! Actually I bought it from Detlev... just need to be lucky and have quick fingers to type for ordering.

Here the document issued by German Embassy in Paris, conferming Krug von Nidda's right to be awarded with the Hindenburg Cross.

Ciao,

Claudio

... and the document to the Schlesischer-Bewährungsabz. 2. Kl.; as you can see R. Krug von Nidda has the title "Attaché", that means that he was in some not confirmed capacity working at a German Diplomatic or Consular representation in 1921...

• 2 weeks later...