News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Lieutenants' Schools Graduation Badges

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

There are many varieties out there, so let's see some! :beer:

On the left, the "generic" type introduced in 1955 without year or branch emblem. This one bears the 1956 state seal, so awarded to graduating classes 1957 to 1961. On the right, the universal badge awarded to graduating classes from 1962 to 1981. These seem to be hard to find for some reason, despite 20 years of classes that earned them:

[attachmentid=18944]

Guest Rick Research

Here are two Victory Factory made badges:

Nakhimov naval schools and ONE of many Suvorov schools for the army, with the specific name overlaid on top of the stamped "BU" struck below. I've never seen a PLAIN Suvorov, or a Nakhimov with a city name... ?

[attachmentid=18989]

I know of no way to DATE these postwar badges: any I have seen have been some sort of hard metal under the eternal gilding finish. These bear the "P star" Pobeda marks, if that indicates a time period of manufacture.

Badges of the SECONDARY EDUCATION MILITARY SCHOOLS

Hello gents,

these little school badges are quite interesting and beautiful. I tried to sort these badges in a time-line.

I am not sure if this is right. Any comments or corrections would be appreciated. I found several different dates and explanations in different books.

The first badge was bestowed at 15. November 1950, but badges with the dates 1946,1947,1948,1949 were conferred to officers, who had graduates before the badge was introduced.

Badges from 1955 to 56 has the incription CCCP instead of a year. From 1957 - 61 they switched from 21 different badges to one common badge (BY).

And I think in 1961 they switched to the blue rhomb badges.

Badges of the MILITARY ACADEMIES; AND CIVIL SCHOLLS MILITARY DEPARTMENTS

I think these badges with shields of the different schools were bestowed in 1950. In 1957 they dropped the shields. The badge for the general staff academy has a golden border.

Edited by Alfred

Nakhimov naval schools and ONE of many Suvorov schools for the army, with the specific name overlaid on top of the stamped "BU" struck below. I've never seen a PLAIN Suvorov, or a Nakhimov with a city name... ?

Plain (generic) Suvorov Academy badges do exist, though are not common. I too have never seen a Nakhimov with a city name. I think there were never more than 2-3 Nakhimov academies, enough to warrant variations.

• 10 months later...
    Guest Rick Research

I am not entirely clear in whether the Nakhimov and Suvorov schools were HIGH SCHOOLS (uniform guides show children, implying that) so that the ? 18 year old graduates THEN went on to a military school for 4 years until graduation as Lieutenants?

Just found this Suvorov from the farthest Far East buried in boxes of stuff acquired in the mid-1990s:

[attachmentid=59981]

I don't know how to date either the Nakhimovs or Suvorovs, since the designs appear never to have changed.

This one has the Suvorov portrait disk backed by the screw post and held on with a nut, like the regular military Academy badge construction.

???