News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EK I 1914 with unknown Eagle stamp

Karl

Hallo,

this is my first topic, excuse my bad english.

I have a EK I 1914 with a strange stamp. Moon, crown an ?800? is ok, but the eagle?

I saw it never before. I mean the cross is good, but the eagle and the needle?

How is your opinion?

Thanks

Karl

Hi Karl, a curious stamp and one I'm not familiar with. I currently have my eye on a similar marked piece in the UK but the seller's crappy pictures keep me from being able to say they are the same marks as yours. I've seen the 3, but the eagle is one I have no memory of seeing before!!

From what I have been able to find, the city marks were made obsolete in 1884 with the adoption of the halfmoon, crown and content number. The eagle at the end of this is actually a maker mark. Here is a link to a site with German silver marks. On the left side near the bottom of the page are two marks from the firm of Bruckmann & Sohne of Heilbronn which displays an eagle in this manner. It is not the same eagle however.

Dan Murphy

German silver marks

Hi,

Interesting cross. I have no problems with the obverse - looks good. I have serious doubts about the hinge and pin though. Post#5 shows a clear side pic of the hinge and that is not what I would expect from wartime, 20s or 30s construction. The severe beveling on the edges of the pin I also consider highly unusual on a period example (but known from one type of recent Eastern European fake). I have a strong suspicion the hinge and pin are replacements.

Regards

Mike K

Edited by Mike K