News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What uniform is he wearing?

I got this driver-license issued by Artillerie-Ersatz-Abteilung (mot) 59.

According to Herbert Bremer's Soldbuch he was a Kriegsassessor

I will add a better picture later

Edited by Naxos

Yes. Uniform regulations for Army Forestry Officials were published on 28 Febuary 1935 (H.Dv. 120) The Forestry Officials wore the basic uniform of the State Forestry Officials but with national emblems of the army design.

Hope this helps some

Larry

Edited by Laurence Strong

Yes. Uniform regulations for Army Forestry Officials were published on 28 Febuary 1935 (H.Dv. 120) The Forestry Officials wore the basic uniform of the State Forestry Officials but with national emblems of the army design.

Hope this helps some

Larry

:cheers:

Gents,

A small correction. By the time this picture was taken the Heer wore army style uniforms with Heer shoulderboards, including the use of rank stars instead of the acorns worn by the Forestry service. The collar tabs used Forestry style ranks. Although the picture is not very clear, Pauls excellent eyesight has picked out the Forestry ranks on the collar tabs in this picture. His rank is probably Forstassessor.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

Gents,

A small correction. By the time this picture was taken the Heer wore army style uniforms with Heer shoulderboards, including the use of rank stars instead of the acorns worn by the Forestry service. The collar tabs used Forestry style ranks. Although the picture is not very clear, Pauls excellent eyesight has picked out the Forestry ranks on the collar tabs in this picture. His rank is probably Forstassessor.

Regards,

Gordon

Hi Gordon

When did the uniform change, and can you source that for me?

Thanks

Larry

Larry,

I can not remember the exact date. Possibly in the early 40s? Most of my reference books are still packed as a result of my recent move from Hungary back to Canada. You should be able to find a reference to these uniforms being worn in the Heer in either Vol 1 or Vol 2 of Angolia and Schlicht's books "Uniform and Traditions of the German Army 1933-1945. One reference for the Luftwaffe is in "The Luftwaffe", page 182, by Roger James Bender.

Regards,

Gordon

ps- I just looked through Bender's book and he sites two references for the uniforms worn in the Luftwaffe Forestry Service as follows;

"Hettler, E. UNIFORMEN DER DEUTSCHEN WEHRMACHT, NACHTRAG 1939/1940. Excellent coverage is to be found on the Luftwaffe Forestry Officials on page XLVII - XLIX"

"Luftwaffen-Verordnungsblatt, July 21, 1941. The order was numbered 791 and dated July 10, 1941."

Edited by Gordon Craig

Gentlemen,

Yes they are dark green. In normal light they are so dark they look black. It is only under the camera flash that they look dark green. Theoretically they should be black but I have never seen a black set of collar tabs either on or off of a Forestry uniform. I have uniforms with grey, brown and green. I have been searching for a black pair for years without success.

Regards,

Gordon

Paul,

Nice Forestry tabs.

Regards,

Gordon

Yes, very nice Paul!

Gentlemem,

what is the reason for the different colors? Is it similar to the Waffenfarben of the Luftwaffe, what was the regulation on Forestry tab colors?

Hardy

Hardy,

The different coloured tabs were used by different organizations. Up to 1935 each state had its own Forestry Service. At that time they were all combined into a National Forestry Service. Dark green has always been the colour for forestry organizations in Germany so regardless of the colour of the collar tabs the trim on the uniforms was dark green in most cases regardless of the branch of forestry service they served in. Dark green collar tabs were worn by National Forestry people. Grey was for Heer (at least in this photo so we will leave it that - my reference books say they should be bllack), black for Luftwaffe and brown was worn by private foresters. The trim around the shoulder boards will be the same colour as the collar tabs. As I said earlier in this thread, I have never seen a black set of collar tabs and if you ask a German dealer about getting you a set he will laugh at you. I am beginning to wonder if they ever existed. The tasks of the forester were the same in all instances regardless of what branch they served in. IE the care and protection of forested lands and animals.

Here is a picture of a private forestry tunic from my collection. The earlier picture I posted was of an "A Rock" which is used for dress occassions. This one is termed a "B Rock" which was worn as a service dress in the office and in the forest.

The shirt is not a contemporary one but is an approximate match for colour. It is actually a communist era air force shirt of a type produced just before the communist regime fell and was never issued. The tie is a civilian and both it and the shirt came with the tunic.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig