News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

need your help of tropical blue visored field cap

Hello Paul,

I have to me an own judge about this cap provided, but still no final.

I think the cap if original could be, the stamp might fit, only I have seen no other cap which is also blue in. Only one beige tropical cap of Berolina which soaks off, however, something. e.g., this cap shown by me has no middle seam on the lid and the eagle is natural also another. Were there such rivets?

Is an expert in this forum maybe for blue tropical things?

greets woodeye

Hi Woodeye,

Cap looks well made, but originals are exceptionally scarce. I have never seen one in the flesh, and only have some images in a couple of books to go on,

and they have some issues from what I have been told. Sorry I can't give a definite on your cap, but will see if I can get an opinion or two from a couple of

advanced tropical collectors I know and get back to you. (I can't say that it gives me warm fuzzy feelings though).

Bob

And a reply from John H., author of the book 'Paratroops in North Africa', and a mod on the WAF's para section:-

" And the Berolina marking is the same style as in the side caps that I do not like."

Pretty much gives the cap the kiss of death mate, sorry.

Bob

Bob,

I thank you and both men for your opinion. Had hoped to get rare originals blue cap.

Do you still need other pictures?

How is it to be understood, actually, do you not like both the cap because they are not sure 100% or are there unequivocal signs for a copy?

What it means "kiss of death mate" ?

Unfortunately, I do not have the book "Paratroops in North Africa". To me there lie only the books "German Paratropps" and "Africa corps" of Robert Kurz, in which blue uniform parts are shown.

Unfortunately, I also know as seldom these caps are and has never still held secure in my hands. Maybe I had to go contently his with a blue tropical jacket for officers which is in my collection. For these jackets also in the book "Africa corps" is illustrated, would I know sometimes with pleasure, how seldom are they real? 0-10, 11-100 or more ?

woodeye

My concern is the Berolina stencil inside. This is not the original pre-1945 stencil (style and font) that Berolina used to mark their manufactured goods. Berolina was a trade name for G. A. Hoffmann in Berlin. A friend of mine owns a beautiful "Berolina" Waffen-SS officer service cap. The backing on the eagle (blue) doesn't look right either. This cap doesn't do it for me. Personally, I would pass... ball is in your court.

Bob

Hello Woodeye,

"Kiss of Death", it means your cap is not good, the two gents I asked have had a vast amount of experience with tropical caps, and I value their opinions very much,

and although I don't know Bob W (above), his reputation is well known too, as a very experienced and with vast amounts of experience, so I really would heed their

call, and don't touch the blue cap. I can't spell it out any clearer than that.

Sorry mate !

Bob