News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Serbia - Order of the White Eagle Originality

Greetings. I just received the Serbian Order of the White Eagle. The ribbon is a replacement and the medal itself looks to be in too Excellent condition to be original (see photos) - there is some slight spotting in some of the enamel, which I have seen in other enamelled medals that are older.

Is there any way to discern if it is original or a copy? What should I be looking for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Linas

Your Order is just fine,

we could use some better -close up-pictures to verify it, but from a first look, you White Eagle V class w/o swords , mm Huguenin Freres from Switzerland, looks just fine.

I could add mine if you wish ,so you can compare them....wink.gif

Edited by Emanuel

Hello Emanuel.

Thank you for your reply. I too would like to provide higher resolution photos, but I have a 150kb limit. The three photos I put up took 125kb.

I would be very pleased to see your White Eagle.

Take care. Linas

You do not have to upload all the time from the attach button, we use more space of our servers, that's why you have this limitation.

Go to http://www.imageshack.us/ and upload your pictures there, save the link and post it here.

You can even register there if you like and have your own albums.

Another one site with similar abilities is http://photobucket.com/ that I use, so you have options for better and clear images.

I think it worth the trouble to register.

Here is my piece and you can compare them.

Regards

Emanuel

025SERBIAMEDALBAR5.png

Edited by Emanuel

Thanks for the photo Emanuel.

Ours look very similar.

I also registered with both photo sharing sites. Even though ImageShack shows great resolution photos, I can't figure out how to organize different photos into different albums (I am tech-stupid).

Thus, I registered with PhotoBucket and it seems to work better - album-wise that is.

OK Emanuel. Very nice to have met you online and thank you for all your assistance.

Take care. Linas

Hello Linas

your item looks good and as Emanuel said it is a Swiss made Huguenin piece of work of the Vth class of the white eagle without swords. If you like you can go and compare a little bit with the pictures on my own website. Any questions are always welcome. Enjoy collecting Serbian orders they are among the most beautiful you will see.

Best regards from Switzerland

Milan

Thanks for the photo Emanuel.

Ours look very similar.

I also registered with both photo sharing sites. Even though ImageShack shows great resolution photos, I can't figure out how to organize different photos into different albums (I am tech-stupid).

Thus, I registered with PhotoBucket and it seems to work better - album-wise that is.

OK Emanuel. Very nice to have met you online and thank you for all your assistance.

Take care. Linas

Is there any way to discern if it is original or a copy? What should I be looking for?

The complexity of the order makes it almost impossible to craftmanship a copy, there are newly made "copys" which are so cheap and poor looking that you could distinguish them as copys out of an airplane. Otherwise there are no fakes or copys around, the only issue is to find a perfect preserved piece which was not too much worn.

regards

Milan

PS: I will look if i can find a picture of one of those copys (by the way the copys are a bit smaler in size than the originals

Hello Milan.

Thank you for your great comments. Now I am certain of the originality of my medal.

I tried to look at your site, but all I got was the home page and I could not figure out how to "get inside". Do I need to subscribe to your site first?

Please let me know because I am curious to see your collection.

Greetings from Paris. Take care.

Linas

Just click on Order of St. Sava's picture and you will enter the site.

Hi Linas

sorry this was a small protection to discourage some people to have a look at my collection. You already got the correct info for entering, hope you did it already.

@SasaYU Thx for helping out! hvala!

regards

Milan

Well Milan, you have an amazing collection!

As an aside, I have a Polish/Russian Order of the White Eagle (coincidence in naming) Grand Cross Breast Star with Swords which one expert believes is late 18th/early 19th Century. But he has never seen this particular hallmark before. Maybe you have, or know somebody who may know?

Please look at the photos in my PhotoBucket album for the Order, and focus in on the photo that magnifies the hallmark. Maybe I will get lucky. It is at: http://s752.photobucket.com/albums/xx168/linasl/Order%20of%20the%20White%20Eagle/

Please let me know, OK?

Thank you once again.

Linas

• 1 year later...

As an aside, I have a Polish/Russian Order of the White Eagle (coincidence in naming) Grand Cross Breast Star with Swords which one expert believes is late 18th/early 19th Century. But he has never seen this particular hallmark before. Maybe you have, or know somebody who may know?

Linas,

Your Russian White Eagle star is most likely foreign European make.

I've never seen this type of wide pin and mint mark on Russian made tsarist stars.

Edited by new world