News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Gents,

i have this WW2 era photograph of a Kriegsmarine officer who is also a veteran of WW1.

He wears the Imperial U-Boat badge and EK2 ribbon with the 1939 Spange.

I am wondering if the "star" he is wearing on the right side of his uniform is some kind of Imperial award?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,Martin.

Very nice portrait, Martin!

... as said, a Turkish award for Imperial German officers - known as "Eiserner Halbmond", "Gallipoli-Star" or in turkish as Harp Madalyası. The award was instituted in 1915

Edited by Naxos

Hello Martin,

This is the "Turkish Iron Crescent" award or "Turkish War Medal". Also sometimes referred to as the "Gallipoli Star".

Here is a link to some information. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallipoli_Star_(Ottoman_Empire)

Very nice picture. :cheers: Do you know who he was?

Best wishes

Matt

EDIT: Sorry Naxos, you have it covered! Didn't see your post! :blush: :cheers:

Edited by M Hunter

Gents,

thank you so much for your replies.

Much appreciated.

Matt,the officer is Kapitanleutnant Heinrich.Hille.He served on the Hilskreuzer "Thor",both cruises.

Regards,Martin.

Interesting point Matt,regarding the ribbons.They are both EK2 ribbons,Imperial and TR.

So he is wearing a TR ribbon in his button hole and the 1939 spange on his Imperial lapel ribbon.

Did regulations state that they could wear both the spange and the ribbon?

Edited by Martin W

I don’t think that the second buttonhole ribbon is an EKII. It appears to be a Atlantic wall medal ribbon. A WWI EK recipient was not awarded another (WWII) EK, only the 1939 Spange. He is however wearing his EKI 1914 twice, once on the bar and in the buttonhole.

Edited by Naxos

I dont think that the second button hole ribbon is an EKII.

Damn my eyes you are correct Hardy. :whistle:

The Defense Wall medal is not the type of award one would associate with KM personnel,i would have thought?

Cheers,Martin.

Edited by Martin W

I don’t think that the second buttonhole ribbon is an EKII. It appears to be a Atlantic wall medal ribbon. A WWI EK recipient was not awarded another (WWII) EK, only the 1939 Spange. He is however wearing his EKI 1914 twice, once on the bar and in the buttonhole.

I thought it was a West Wall ribbon also but then wasn't sure if KM Officers received these? :ninja:

Matt

EDIT: Or could it be the ribbon for the Turkish War Medal? :jumping:

Edited by M Hunter

I thought it was a West Wall ribbon also but then wasn't sure if KM Officers received these? :ninja:

Matt

Good point! I don't think they did unless they were assigned to another venue.

When was the picture taken?

Edited by Naxos

Oh more questions chaps! :blush: What is the last ribbon on his ribbon bar? Some foreign award? It acually looks like the Luftschutz ribbon...could that even be possible? :D If we could be sure the 3rd ribbon was for either the West Wall Medal, Turkish War medal or ? we could then determine at least if the last award was foreign or not.

Matt

I kind of answered my own question.

German Cross in Gold :).

Hille, Heinrich, Korvettenkapitän (Ing.) d.R., Leit. Ing. Hilfskreuzer Thor - DKG am 20.11.41

Edited by Naxos

Hille served on "THOR" from July 1939 to November 1942

Yes,he served on both criuses.The photo is dated 27-10-41 just before the "Thor's" 2nd cruise on 30-11-41,and just a couple of weeks before he was awarded the DKiG on 20-11-41.

I would be very surprised if he was wearing the Defense Wall ribbon?

Perhaps it could be the ribbon for the Turkish War medal as mentioned by Matt?

Regards,Martin.

Edited by Martin W