News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the red banner 213619

Hello Gentlemen,

i want to get this ORB by trading against my Iron Cross 1914 1st class mm S-W. Is the ORB original and was awarded (what i mean to see from the numbers/dates published above by Mr. Research) during World War II ?

Thanks for your friendly help.

Best wishes

Markus

Thanks Bill,

i will take it. I think the trading value of about 120,- Euro is not too much.

I have read the threads about researching, but how can i contact a researcher ?

Best regards

Markus

Hi Markus,

One researcher left his email address on this forum thread about researching:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=13330&st=60

He provides excellent service for the price!

There is also Alexei, who is usually faster but more expensive (at least for some requests). You can contact him through his website:

http://sovietauthentications.com/

Nice medal, by the way! :cheers:

Alex

Hello Alex,

thanks for your advice, i saw the link you posted and as soon as the order arrives i will subscribe for a research.

For me - an "old" collector of royal prussian decorations, this potential of research of single decorations is nearly unbelievable.

I bought a lot of soviet awards around 1992-1995 and sold them some years later, but this archival material gives me a new thrill to pick some up.

If this Order of the red banner gets a name i will post it.

Thanks and best regards

Markus

Nice, original one. It was probably awarded by the 1st Belorussian Front in April or May 1945. Worth is just over 200 euro.

Thanks for this information, research has been started by Alexei Merezhko. The condition is much better than on the pics i showed, the lower areas of the leafs and the white enamle was covered by dust and dirt. I have cleaned the surface with handwarm water and a smooth brush, of cause without polishing or silvercleaning. I will show better pics later.

By the way - there are some different systems to classify russian orders, what is the most common ?

I checked mondvor.com and after that it is Typ 3, variant 4, sub-variant 1. There is still the system of McDonald/Schmitt and some more ..... ?

Thanks and best regards

Markus

The Mondvor classification is the most up to date one. The McDaniel/Schmitt classification is already 13 years old and outdated. Several of their types or varations have been removed or split up in newer classifications.

Good luck with the research. Red Banners in this serial number range are often quite interesting.

Thanks for the information ! Here is before and after soft cleaning with warm water. I like patina and also silver oxidation, but i think it is legible to remove dust and dyrt.

Regards

Markus

• 1 month later...

It took some time, but now i got the results of the research. Unusualy, not awarded to an officer but to a guards master seargent and anti-tank-gun commander on 29.3.1945.

I will share this record with you and hope you enjoy it.

Best regards

Markus

Order of the Red Banner #213.619 belonging to I.N. Zaitsev

A. Award Card

Order Booklet A-562783

1. Last name: Zaitsev

2. First name and patrionymic: Ivan Nikiforovich

3. Rank: Senior Sergeant

4. Gender: male

5. Birthyear: 1912

6. Birthplace: Ryazan Oblast, Kaverinskii Region

7. Party membership: yes, since 1943

8. Education: elementary

9. Nationality: Russian

10. Service in Red Army: 25.2.42-27.10.45

11. Place of service at time of awarding: 3 Anti-Tank Destroyer Brigade

12. Place of employment at present: Shchelkovo Police Department – Policeman

13. Home of record: Moscow Oblast, Shchelkovo Region, Factory #755 village, Cafeteria

ITR [trans: unknown abbreviation]

14. Awards:

Award Serial Number Awarding Organization

Glory III 538.694 1 Belorussian Front dated 28.5.45

Red Banner 213.619 1 Belorussian Front Artillery dated 29.3.45

Red Star 221.277 3 Destroyer Brigade dated 13.7.43

Bravery Medal 1.353.125 28 [trans: sic “280”] Guards Destroyer

Anti-Tank Artillery Regiment dated 14.7.44

Red Star 1.557.902(?) (?)03 Independent Guards Destroyer Anti-

Tank Artillery Brigade dated 8.3.45

Information verified by a Shchelkovo Regional Military Commissariat official on 12 May 1947

B. Unit Award Listing

First Belorussian Front unit award listing verifies Order of the Red Banner #213.619 was awarded to Guards Senior Sergeant Ivan Nikiforovich Zaitsev on 15.4.45 in Order Booklet #460236 on the basis of 1 Belorussian Front Artillery Commander Order #0177 dated 29.3.45.

C. Award Recommendation

1. Full name: Zaitsev, Ivan Nikiforovich

2. Rank: Guards Senior Sergeant

3. Duty position and unit: Gun Commander – 280 Guards Destroyer Anti-Tank Regiment, 3 Independent Guards “Brest” Orders of Lenin and the Red Banner Destroyer Anti-Tank Artillery Brigade, RGK

Application for the Order of the Red Banner

4. Birthyear: 1912

5. Nationality: Russian

6. Party membership: yes, since 1943

7. Participation in combat: since 10.1942

8. Wounds or shell-shock: none

9. In Red Army: since 1942

10. Inducted by: Shchelkovo Regional Military Commissariat, Moscow Oblast

11. Earlier awards: Red Star by Order of 3 Destroyer Brigade dated 13.7.43, Bravery Medal by 280GdsDestATArtyRegt, 3IndepGdsDestrArtyBrigade, RGK dated 14.7.44

12. Home of record: Moscow Oblast, Shchelkovo Station, large cafeteria ITR. Wife – Zaitseva, Anastasiya Pavlovna

Short Objective Description of Personal Combat Feat

Comrade I.N. Zaitsev has been a gun commander during the fighting from 9.2 through 20.2.45 and he and his crew have displayed exemplary steadfastness and courage in combat against the fascist invaders. In fighting on 16.2.45 during the defense of the Damnitz* when the enemy undertook a major attack of 30 tanks and as much as a battalion of infantry, Comrade Zaitsev and his crew were cut off from their higher and neighboring artillery batteries and yet with their cannon courageously repelled as many as twelve enemy tanks and enemy infantry, during which time they destroyed two heavy tanks, three heavy and four light machineguns, one anti-tank gun, and as many as sixty soldiers and officers, completely holding their occupied line.

Comrade Zaitsev is deserving of the Order of the Red Banner.

Signed Commander, 280 Guards Destroyer Anti-Tank Artillery Regiment, Guards Lieutenant Colonel Bakholdan on 17 February 1945

Endorsed Commander, 3 Independent Guards “Brest” Orders of Lenin and the Red Banner Destroyer Anti-Tank Artillery Regiment, RGK, Guards Colonel Kolokolop on 17 February 1945

Endorsed Artillery Commander, 2 Guards Tank Army, Guards General-Major of Artillery Plaskov on 28 March 1945

Awarded the Order of the Red Banner by Artillery Commander, 1 Belorussian Front #0180 dated 7.4.1945. Verified by Senior Deputy Chief of 1 Belorussian Front Artillery Personnel Section, Lieutenant Colonel of Admnistrative Services Vas(?)

*[trans: geographic place names may not be as appeared due to transliteration from German to Russian and English]

An Iron Cross can belong to anyone for any deed. In most cases, the history is lost. Not the case with Soviet Orders. It is amazing how research can bring these medals, quite literally, to life!

I feel that you got the better end of the trade.

I have never seen an ORB for an enlisted man before. Very nice and desireable!!