News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ludwig Cross and Honour Cross for combatants

Hello Everyone,

I just got this pair in yesterday and it comprises of the Bavarian Ludwig Cross and the Homour Cross for combatants.

The Ludwig Cross is of blackened bronze so it would be a later manufacture some where between the balckened iron and the zinc issues.

From what I have read, the Ludwig Cross was awared for service at home and in support of the Army. It is primarily a civilian award. The Honour Cross that forms the second member of this pair has crossed swords which I believe is for combatants. Is this a common pairing? I would have thought that the Honour Cross would have been the non-combatant's issue without swords.

What are your thoughts about this?

Regards

Brian

Thanks for your comment fellows.

I too liked the "look" of the group and then after it arrived I began to think the it was an odd combination. This came from a respected dealer here in Ontario and not from an internet auction house so I was not worried about it being authentic or not. Still, it is good to hear the opinions of experienced collectors.

Thanks again.

Regards

Brian

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Brian,

don`t worry.... the combo is not too odd and absolutely no prblem with the bar....

The Ludwigs cross was given to bavarian soldiers too , not only civilians , it was given out to people THAT COULD NOT EXPECT TO GET ANOTHER BAVARIAN WAR / BRAVERY AWARD - what your two guys indeed did :whistle: Of course you could get the Ludwigs cross during the war on a desk job and some months later a bravery award at the front after joining a new regiment.... that`s why you see it on bars with other bravery awards too...

Hi Brian,

don`t worry.... the combo is not too odd and absolutely no prblem with the bar....

The Ludwigs cross was given to bavarian soldiers too , not only civilians , it was given out to people THAT COULD NOT EXPECT TO GET ANOTHER BAVARIAN WAR / BRAVERY AWARD - what your two guys indeed did :whistle: Of course you could get the Ludwigs cross during the war on a desk job and some months later a bravery award at the front after joining a new regiment.... that`s why you see it on bars with other bravery awards too...

Hi Heiko,

Thanks for adding to my knowledge base, this was something I didn't know.

Regards

Brian

Hi Brian,

Yes, see this little bar: