News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi,

I just picked up this ribbon bar and I wish to solicit opinions as to originality and hopefully some indication as to who would have received it. Also, I couldn't find any examples of the '1914' device to compare for originality.

Thanks in advance! :cheers:

Edited by Mike Constandy

Hi everybody!

I saw also this ribbon bar for sale... I wasn't completely convinced; maybe it was more my gutt-feeling to let me keep off this bar. Strange the combination for a obviously Saxon citizen (Coburg-Gotha) to get a Bavarian long service fire brigade ribbon... The constrution doesn't look bad, but I have only seen one other ribbon bar device like this (see last two Kube's auctions) and never had the chance to see "live" one of them.

Ciao,

Claudio

Thanks for the input. I was thinking the second to last ribbon could be the Carl Eduard wedding ribbon rather than the Turkish Half Moon, or would this be out of sequence? And it appears the red stripe on the edge of the ribbon is too small in comparison.

How long would he have to have served for the Bavarian LS?

Thanks again, and Cheers

Edited by Mike Constandy

Claudio,

You must mean this offering. Thanks for the information, I had not seen this catalogue. WOW, what a grouping! :jumping:

The device looks very similar, if not identical, to my eyes.

The Kube offering would also indicate that Saxons did receive Turkish awards.

Edited by Mike Constandy

Hi Mike,

That is exactly the ribbon bar I meant... the group remained un-sold! No wonder by such a starting price (first time Eur 8000.-, 2nd time Eur 6800.-).

I can try to make a better scan from Kube's catalogue.

Ciao,

Claudio

Thanks very much Claudio, a much better image to compare with.

It may just be my eyes, or the two less than perfect images, but they look similar to me. Any thoughts?

A forum member kindly suggested the bar is for an NCO since no officer received the Silver Verdienst Medaille mit X u. date.

I'll have the ribbon bar in my hands in a few days and I appreciate all input. Thanks again.

Mike

I am not sure Mike's bar is part of the group from the auction. The medal bar has the HEK3 in 6th position and that ribbon in not on Mike's ribbon bar. The HEK3 is a peacetime award and would/should be on Mike's bar.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your comment. Claudio posted the bar from the Kube auction only to compare the swords/date devices against those on my ribbon bar. Apart from that, there is no connection. They seem similar to me, but I would appreciate your comments.

I'll email you about that project we discussed in DC.

Cheers

Nice bar, likely to a Coburg and Gotha NCO. I think it is an old one, cannot see anything alarming.

Last ribbon is Bavarian firefigther's long service award, guess from the 20s. Sachsen-Coburg was quite "near" to Bavaria, beeing a PART OF IT post WW1 (from 1920 on), while Sachsen-Gotha became part of free state of Thüringen!

So absolutely no problem about this. ;)

Thanks for all of the helpful comments. I will scan some better images when the bar arrives.

Cheers

Edited by Mike Constandy