News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Serbia - Miloš Obilić Medal for Bravery, 1913

Hi all,

I picked up this medal yesterday from local fair. Actually I wasn't sure what medal is this but I understood text on the rim, what dealer probably didn't knew - ‘ЗА ХРАБРОСТ’ (For Bravery), so it was one of the indication that this medal can't be some kind a unofficial or commemorative piece.

Quick check of internet gave me an answer - Serbia Bravery Medal!!!cheers.gif

I still know wery little about this:

- The medal was initiated on 12 July 1913 and awarded to officers for acts of bravery on the field of battle in the short war with Bulgaria. It continued to be awarded during World War I. Is it officers ONLY award or others got it as well?

- The medal was made by Arthus Bertrand of Paris and Huguenin Frères of Le Locle, Switzerland and, after 1918, in Belgrade, Zagreb and Varaždin. Is there any indications, what can tell me, who made my medal?

- Like I understand mine is bronze but there were bronze, silver and gold class? How many this type bravery medals was awarded in total (aprox)?

Any other extra information would be great!!!jumping.gif

161609613a8b4a_l.jpg

Hi all,

I picked up this medal yesterday from local fair. Quick check of internet gave me an answer - Serbia Bravery Medal.

I still know wery little about this:

Is it officers ONLY award or others got it as well?

Is there any indications, what can tell me, who made my medal?

How many this type bravery medals was awarded in total (aprox)?

Any other extra information would be great!!!

Hello Timo,

Here is some additional information that may help. Your medal was not produced by Huguenin Frères because it does not have the signature mark of 'Huguenin' on the reverse just above the wreath at the centre bottom. Based on some comparisons of the text on the obverse, as well as the inscription and sword handles, and hilts on the reverse, I would suggest that your example was produced by the French firm of Arthus Bertrand.

According to the medal regulations it was to have been made in 36mm diameter but copies were also manufactured in 30mm diameter, hence you regularly see medals in both sizes. While the medal was produced in gilt-bronze and silver, there have also been other examples produced in a silver alloy, silver-plated bronze, as well as brass. In addition I have seen an example by Arthus Bertrand that was produced in gold with hallmarks on the suspension ring. It is not uncommon for the gilt-bronze examples to be seen with all the gilt finish worn and rubbed off.

The medal was awarded as follows:

* In Gold - to officers for 'valour tested in battle' and NCOs in exceptional cases 'for fearless bravery in battle'.

* In Silver - to NCOs and other ranks.

The qualification criteria was taken from the very well illustrated and comprehensive reference book on the subject: 'Serbian and Yugoslavian Orders and Decorations, 1859-1941' by Pavel Car and Tomislav Muhić, 2009. This is well recommended.

Here is my 30mm example for comparison. It is part of a larger group awarded to a Greek officer.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Thanks Rob! Brilliant information - exactly what I was looking for!

Great award and I am so happy for the pick up.... especially because it was total random findjumping.gif

Did you received my last email?2014.gif

Thanks Rob! Brilliant information - exactly what I was looking for!

Great award and I am so happy for the pick up.... especially because it was total random findjumping.gif

Did you received my last email?2014.gif

Hello Timo,

Yes I did. The Serb medals are always a nice find and do turn up in some unexpected places.

Regards,

Rob

Hello,

If I am not wrong, the small size Milos Obilic were awarded for the Balkan Wars, as opposed to the larger ones.

The Pavel Car book on Serbian medals and Orders is a "must" for medal collectors. It costs about 100 euros and it's one of the best medals' books ever written.

Hello,

If I am not wrong, the small size Milos Obilic were awarded for the Balkan Wars, as opposed to the larger ones.

The Pavel Car book on Serbian medals and Orders is a "must" for medal collectors. It costs about 100 euros and it's one of the best medals' books ever written.

Yes, the small variation 30 mm, awarded for the B' Balkan war of 1913, at the A'Balkan war the Bravery medal was different, didn't called Milos Obilic, but had the image of a woman, who represented Serbia as a motherland, actually was a great design medal but didn't walk with the customs of the current time, many officers didn't welcome this and refuse to receive or to wear it,so they proceed in this change, letting a Medieval hero Knight that might lived, might not, still a legent of Serbian History, Milos Obilic to represent the value of Bravery in this medal.

The large variation of 36 mm was awarded during WW 1 ,during the liberation of Northern provinces (Slovenia ) and even to Montengrian troops that participate in the WW 1.

The rarest variation of them all-when we talk of Milos Obilic medals of course - is the Silver Bravery medal of Milos Obilic , small 30 mm.

*I include a photo of the A' Balkan war bravery medal in Gold.

Thanks guys, excellent information and your medal bar Emanuel is something what is one of the nicest, what I have ever seen!!!beer.gif

I just checked mine and it is 30mm.... so, am I correct that it was awarded pre WW1 1913 and is slightly rarer then larger 36mm ones?2014.gif

Edited by Noor

Thank you Noor for your comment,

this Medal Bar has a name behind though, as I purchase it directly from the family.

It belonged to Division General Dragisa Pandurovic ,Commander of the Duvan Division of Belgrade, who during WW 2 took assignment to command Trglav Division of Ljubljana and face direct the Germans.

He was POW in Germany after his capture and spend that time in a POW camp in Mainz as I'v been told and he stayed in Germany after WW 2 , seems he didn't wish to come back in the Communist Yugoslavia.

As for Josef's comment (nice Oblic medal that one indeed by the way on Ebay ) I guess he might assume that the Serbian commemorative medal for Albanian retreat on my medal Bar is Gold, but it's not ,it's just Gold plated ( spend 1 gr of 18K Gold as these medals weight 16.70 gr and this one is 17.65 gr. ).

I assume the General wanted to have a full gold appearance on his medals, starting from Milos Obilic and ending at Peter's I B' Balkan War cross ;)

Edited by Emanuel

• 1 month later...
    • 1 year later...
    • 2 months later...

To all,

Here is another variety of the Milosh Obilich bravery medal. It is a gilt finished bronze variety in 36 mm. The bronze can be seen with wear to the high points of the medal. It has no makers mark on the reverse.

Apart from an illustration of such an example in the reference book 'Serbian and Yugoslavian Orders and Decorations' by Pavel Car, I can find no other reference to this particular variety. It comes from an unknown manufacturer.

Any thoughts would be welcomed. Close-ups of just the medal to follow.

Regards,
    Rob