News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Canadian Airborne Battledress

Hello and Happy New Years to all!

This arrived in the mail a couple of days ago from my aunt in New Brunswick, Canada, but I cannot find any reference to the shoulder title "Airborne Canada". When she told me she had come across a Canadian airborne uniform I was thinking more along the lines of the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion with the Pegasus patch etc. All patches appear to have been hand sewn. The stamped label inside the BD reads: Battle Dress Blouse Serge, Size No. 2, Tip Top Tailors Ltd, and is dated 1942.

Thanks,

John

[attachmentid=21178]

Edited by John F.

• 3 months later...

Hello John,

Noted no response to this post, so I put the photos on www.army.ca, where they generated some discussion.

To see the responses to my post, go to www.army.ca, click on Forums at top of home page/Military History/Airborne Battle Dress/ (probably on page 2 or 3 of this forum by now).

-Ken

• 9 months later...

This may be a silly question... but there is another thread here with canadian wings and they have white and red maple leaves.... where does the gold one come from ?

It's for instructors, or 50 jumps, or not missing church parade 10 weeks running or some such! Trywww.canadiansoldiers.com, they'll know!

P

Hello and Happy New Years to all!

This arrived in the mail a couple of days ago from my aunt in New Brunswick, Canada, but I cannot find any reference to the shoulder title "Airborne Canada". When she told me she had come across a Canadian airborne uniform I was thinking more along the lines of the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion with the Pegasus patch etc. All patches appear to have been hand sewn. The stamped label inside the BD reads: Battle Dress Blouse Serge, Size No. 2, Tip Top Tailors Ltd, and is dated 1942.

Thanks,

John

[attachmentid=21178]

According to Major Louis E. Grimshaw's book The Badges and Insignia of the Canadian Airbone Forces; "This shoulder title was apparently designed by Major Randy Routh, who was also involved in the design of the cap badge and who later commanded the training centre at shilo. The title, authorized 8 April 1943, is dark green melton cloth with white embroidered lettering, and is found in two varieties, one having shorter letters than the other. The titles were first issued at Shilo in 1943 .................... Although the Battalion changed its shoulder title the following year, it is presumed that the "AIRBORNE CANADA" title remained in wear at the school in Canada."

Hope this helps.

This is a valuable tunic, especially if you can prove provenance and if you had the soldiers paybook, photo etc...

The "Airborne Canada" title was worn by staff at the parachute training centre as well as by soldiers trained but not yet posted oversea to the 1st Cdn Para Bn. Only one style of para wings were worn during WWII (although there were manufacturing variants of course) and this badge featured the gold/yellow Maple Leaf. Moder badges display either a white leaf (for graduates of the basic para course but who are not members of a "Para" unit) and red leaf (for para graduates who fill a jump position in a "Para" unit and who have also undergone the para indoctrination course.) These "Para" units include the jump companies of the Infantry regiments, the Para training centre, Riggers, etc....

There is a book coming out on these shortly. See my website at www.servicepub.com for details