News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I have posted this group on another forum but not here. As there hasn't been anything Canadian posted in a while i thought may as well put it up for review.

As those who know me know i collect first world war medals to men from Medicine Hat AB and have tried to stick rigidly to that theme over the last few years. However, when a great group is offered i just can't resist. Recently a Canadian auction offered the following

Canada WWII Gallantry Group of 5 to H191122 William James Morris Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada

1939/45 Star, Defense Medal, CVSM & Bar, War Medal, Croix de Guerre Bronze Star

Confirmed on Roll as Mentioned in Despatches.

Normally a ww2 group doesn't appeal to me as they usually aren't very well documented. This group however came with his Wallet, Final Soldiers Paybook, Final Soldiers Service Book, Notebook, and a keepsake bible with dedication written in it to him and some other souvenir books. Enough documentation to set this appart for me (and it supposedly came direct from the family).

What else appeals to me? The MID and C De G were for his actions at Dieppe where he was taken POW!!!! And for a Canadian collector Dieppe is one of the Holy grails. Havn't done alot of research yet so if anyone has anything to aid in the process please do it would be much appreciated.

Because the auction made no mention of Dieppe or that he was POW i managed to get it for starting bid ($400cdn) a real steal in my opinion what do others think?

Cheers

Chris

Well done Chris. Looks like you hit a home run... Pays to do your homework before you bid.

Just in case you don't have the actual information on the MID and Croix de Guerre, here is an extract from the excellent CD "Courage & Service" by John Blatherwick and Hugh Halliday.

MORRIS, William James, Private (H.19122) - Mention in Despatches - Infantry (Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada and prisoner of war) - awarded as per Canada Gazette dated 9 February 1946 and CARO/6377 dated 11 February 1946, "in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in the combined attack on Dieppe."

When the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada was ordered to withdraw to the beach during the Dieppe raid, 19 August 1942, Private Morris showed great initiative in manning the Boys anti-tank rifle under heavy machine gun and mortar fire. He engaged an enemy pill box which was causing heavy casualties to the battalion, this pill box having been by-passed on the initial assault earlier in the day. Changing his position repeatedly while fighting a single-handed duel with this post, Private Morris worked his way close enough to destroy it and allow the evacuation to continue. His conduct during the entire day's fighting was exemplary. He was later taken prisoner while giving covering fire and enabling his wounded comrades to be evacuated on the last craft to leave the French coast.

MORRIS, William James, Private (H.19122) - Croix de Guerre avec Etoile de Bronze (France) - Infantry (Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada) - awarded as per CARO/6854 dated 25 November 1946. For exceptional war service at Dieppe in August 1942 when he destroyed a pill box which was causing heavy casualties to his battalion.

Jean-Paul

WOW Jean-Paul

I had no idea what the citations would hold and am just as surprised as Irish that he did not receive an MM or even possibly DCM. I'm thinking the fact he was taken POW factored into the decision or that there were a lot of gallant deeds at Dieppe and not everyone got the award they deserved. Thanks so much for your reply Jean-Paul.

Cheers

Chris

Wonderful Dieppe connection, makes me ponder groups that should be "affordable" & that I'd like - a Dieppe, a D-Day, a Fortress Singapore, a Changi POW, Chindit, Gallipoli, 1st day of The Somme, the list goes on.

Any chance of photos of your man turning up in regimental journals etc?

I've actually found in an upcomming sale from the same auctioneer a journal which documents every many who enlisted in Winnipeg for the first two Canadian contingents. Morris is apparently shown with A company of the Cameronians wearing his battledress and kilt. I wonder if the two lots are related?

I'm very pleased at the price i managed to get the group because Canadian Dieppe groups tend to go for considerably more. Many Canadians view Dieppe as just as significant a moment in ww2 as Vimy was in ww1.

Cheers

Chris

Very nice. And the MiD and CdG - even more impressive.

I'm surprised, however, that for such an action Pvt Morris wouldn't have been decorated with more than a MiD; is this normal for the period? Why not Military Medal worthy?

If you were to read the citations found in the "Courage & Service" CD you would find many acts of gallantry that would appear, at first glance, to warrant a higher decoration. At the same time, some citations make you wonder at any award at all! A review of the MM and DCM citation cards will often show that the initial recommendation (made at Unit level) was often adjusted up or down as it climbed its way to the Army Commander. Also, there was an official quota for decorations (other than the VC) and this often played its part in the final decision.

Cheers,

Clive