News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Here is a very early U-Boat Badge grouping. They all belonged to Mechanikermaat Helmut Welsch of U-18 from U-Flottille 'Lohs' (which was renamed 3 U-Flottille.)

The U-Boat Badge citation is dated for 19th October 1939 and as the badge was instituted on the 13th October 1939 I am assuming this citation would be a backdated one. The Service Award IV Class bears the signature of Doenitz while the 1st Oct 1938 Award citation is signed by Hans Eckermann.

post-5995-030422700 1286832532_thumb.jpg

EK II Citation dated for 22nd November 1939. I am assuming that the EK II would of been awarded for the 3rd patrol when U-18 was used as a decoy for U-47 while that boat was on her Scapa Flow mission and would of been a mass award to the boats crew, or a percentage of them, and would of been awarded when they returned from the 4th patrol.

post-5995-098962100 1286832855_thumb.jpg

Very, very nice group Kevin. There can't have been too many who managed to get the requisite number of patrols in to earn the badge by such an early date.

I see he isn't on the ubootwaffe.net lists. Have you checked WaSt to see if there is a KIA listing for him ?

If not it would be a very rare example of a U-Boat man who was in service from Day 1 and survived the war.

EK II Citation dated for 22nd November 1939. I am assuming that the EK II would of been awarded for the 3rd patrol when U-18 was used as a decoy for U-47 while that boat was on her Scapa Flow mission and would of been a mass award to the boats crew, or a percentage of them, and would of been awarded when they returned from the 4th patrol.

This is your 2 grouping for today :

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466459

with so beautiful and early EK's!

Congratulation's, verry nice citations heritages! :beer:

Thanks for the comments guys. I have checked the Volksbund database and there are just 9 Helmut Welsch's listed as being KIA during the course of the war but none of them are sailors, and there is no mention of any of them being on the U-Boat memorials at Kiel & Laboe.

• 8 months later...