News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Everyone,

I've wanted to post this group for some time now but something always seemed to come up and it just never happened. Anyway, here is an Imperial German group that one on my fellow GMIC members made available to me for my collection that features the TWM ribbon.

I have also attached a photo of my TWM collection so far. Sorry that the photo has picked up the red hue from the drawer lining, but I figured you'd get the "picture". I have posted this in the Imperial German section as that is where this collection resides as I don't actually collect the medals of Turkey...yet. :rolleyes:

Regards

Brian

post-1801-054822900 1288534869_thumb.jpg

Hello Everyone,

I've wanted to post this group for some time now but something always seemed to come up and it just never happened. Anyway, here is an Imperial German group that one on my fellow GMIC members made available to me for my collection that features the TWM ribbon.

I have also attached a photo of my TWM collection so far. Sorry that the photo has picked up the red hue from the drawer lining, but I figured you'd get the "picture". I have posted this in the Imperial German section as that is where this collection resides as I don't actually collect the medals of Turkey...yet. :rolleyes:

Regards

Brian

But it seems to me, that the fourth band is not ТWМ's band. It is a band of the Gessian LS medal.

But it seems to me, that the fourth band is not ТWМ's band. It is a band of the Gessian LS medal.

Hello Sergio,

The ribbon is an exact match for two other TWM ribbons I have in the collection so from this and considering the source of this group is very dependable I tend to think the ribbon on the bar is the TWM. However, being one who likes to keep an open mind I would like to see the ribbon for the Gessian Long Service Medal to compare it with the one on the bar.

Could you possibly post a photo of the Gessian L.S. Medal ribbon? It would be most helpful.

It would be good to hear from the other members as well regarding this discussion.

Regards

Brian

The ribbons for Hassian military long service awards and Ottoman war medal are that close, you will often find them mixed on German medal bars ("that's close enough", the tailor probably said). I cannot see anything here that screams "Hassian" to me - it is rather a Badener's bar - so I think Ottoman fits.

The two mentioned ribbons are even that close I cannot remember any difference.

Like Sascha already rightly said I think too, that the last ribbon is for the Turkish Half-Moon decoration. In fact, in many cases, such decoration was also worn by Germans on the medal bar without the star, but just like that. I saw such medal bars, but I can't enclose a picture here, since these are not in my collection.

C

Edited by Claudio

The basic difference - proportions of white and red strips on a ribbon.

I understand that frequently Medal bar makers didn't see distinctions between the ribbons. But it is impossible to exclude a variant with hessian LS-medal in the absence of other hessian awards. For example, just remember the medal bar, which was shown by Claudio with baden LS-medals in the absence of other baden awards:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=45102

Why not?

post-9545-069900700 1288632011_thumb.jpg

Is there a suspension hook on the back? I seem to recall that when the award was for a TWM on a ribbon bar there was no hook in back. Can anyone show their example of this?

Is there a suspension hook on the back? I seem to recall that when the award was for a TWM on a ribbon bar there was no hook in back. Can anyone show their example of this?

Hello Claudius,

My medal bar has suspension hooks on the back.

While examining the ribbon more closely I can see the the edge red stripe is indeed much thinner than that of the TWM ribbons I have in the collection. I suppose now the question is, could this have been the Gessian Long Service Medal or the Turkish War Medal? Adding the Gessian Long Service Medal would be easy enough providing I can find one, however if the TWM it more likely then I would not want to proceed with that project.

I would like to hear more regarding the debate.

Regards

Brian

Sure you're right, we can never be sure, but...

Why not?

why?

Mis-matched ribbons are that common I would not even think about this were a Hassian long service award. A hook on the back does neither indicate anything. The bars were made when noone knew what awards would be mounted in this time.

If there were no hook, we could be sure the bar is meant for the Turkish award. With a hook, we don't know anything.

Summarizing, I tend to think this is rather Turkish than Hassian.

We hardly see a Hassian soldiers WW1 medal bar without a Hassian Bravery medal. They were given quite liberately, especially to officers and career soldiers.

Hi have one without a hook on the back and will try to post it later on. beer.gif