News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Prices of Imperial orders & medals over the years

Dear forumites,

I was updating some files of my collection and was quite surprised how prices have gone up, especially after the introduction of the Euro in 2001. This values are taken from Nimmerguts' OEK, which of course show only indicatively an average market price, often undervalued. Nevertheless it's quite an useful reference when purchasing... at least for me, still!

Example price development of a Herzog Ernst Medaille in Silber, 1906-1909 (Bildnis Herzog Ernst I) OEK 2584

From 1995 to 2008 (13 years) an value increase of 136,84 % !!!!

post-199-089405900 1288953075_thumb.jpg

Edited by Claudio

Another example...

Reuss, Ältere und jüngere Linie gemeinsam, Kriegsverdienstkreuz „1914“, 1915-1918, Steckkreuz

Bemerkungen:

Verleihungen: 366 (Lt. Auskunft der Fürstlich Reussischen Vermögensverwaltung Gera, 7.7.41)

OEK 2023

Value in 1995, DM 950.- (ca. Eur 475.-) in 2008 Eur 900.-: increase of 89.47%

post-199-030219200 1288953671_thumb.jpg

Edited by Claudio

Another example...

Deutsches Reich 1871-1918, Waffenabzeichen der Fliegertruppe, Abzeichen für Flieger-Beobachter, 1914

OEK 3287 (Silber) S

Value in 1995, DM 570.- (ca. Eur 275.-) in 2008 Eur 580.-: increase of 110.91%

In this case you can obsverve that the price hasn't increased so much in the last 10 years, according to the OEK's catalogue, but I would think to find such a well marked piece (Meybauer) for less Eur 800./900.- today.

post-199-031381000 1288954509_thumb.jpg

Claudio, While I agree that there has been a price increase, I don't think it is fair to compare the euro and DM on a one to one bases. Before the euro was introduced the DM was trading at 2.22 to the US dollar. When the euro replaced the DM it traded at one euro to one DM and the exchange rate to the dollar was one to one. Can I then say that I collection increased in value 100%? For example, the first time I came to Germany and stayed in Gunzenhausen I paid 50DM for my room which was $23 to me. When the euro was introduced the room was 48 euro or $50 to me. I don't know if the OEK factores this in.

Paul, you probably made a mistake - rate DEM-EUR was not 1:1, but (roughly) 2:1. But many dealers simply switched prices from let's say 100 DEM to 100 EUR. :banger::violent:

And in its first year, euro was still inferior to $. Only in november 2002 the tides changed.

Paul, you probably made a mistake - rate DEM-EUR was not 1:1, but (roughly) 2:1. But many dealers simply switched prices from let's say 100 DEM to 100 EUR. :banger::violent:

And in its first year, euro was still inferior to $. Only in november 2002 the tides changed.

Yes, Valter you are totally correct... I just divided by 2 the price in DM, but the official course was 1 Euro for 1,95583 DM (see Wikipedia English German Mark )

Claudio

We must remember to adjust for inflation!! When was a room in Gunzenhausen 50 DM and what would it cost today, regardless of currency used? Or take a look at collector prices versus, say, a hotel room rate in the 1930s --- a specific high profile auction catalog from that time offers surprizing insights!

We must remember to adjust for inflation!! When was a room in Gunzenhausen 50 DM and what would it cost today, regardless of currency used? Or take a look at collector prices versus, say, a hotel room rate in the 1930s --- a specific high profile auction catalog from that time offers surprizing insights!

In 2000 the price was 50DM. For the last 4-5 years it has been 48 euros.

Even the common stuff has gone up, but not by nearly as much:

In 1995 this most common duo cost $30. In 1985 it cost about the same. In Feb. 9, 2002 on eBay it went for $66.

Today they seem to average @ $100-$120.

I blame the internet. :whistle:

post-171-038569100 1289237021_thumb.jpg

Of course there was a very strong inflatonary phase after the introduction of the Euro in 2001, but this could only explain partly the prices increase. Furthermore we speak about collectibles and not essential goods (like food, clothes, etc.); the prices increased because also we collectors are ready to pay more and more. But of course also like Ulsterman says internet also has contributed to make such collectibles easily available all over the world. I was also very shocked to see how few people are partecipating to such shows like Gunzenhausen. I remember earlier (like Stuttgart), sometimes how ridiculous it was to get to a vendor's table... so many people and you had to cue up in order to get to the table... now it's almost boring... Why that? Why should people spend extra money for flights, fuel for car, hotel, eating in restaurants, when most of the dealers there in the shows offers the same products on their websites at the same prices? The only reason I still go it's because I can meet fellow collectors who share the same interests and we can share our knowledge or expand our network within this interesting field of collecting.

Just my 2 cents (euro cents of course!) :whistle:

C

Internet opened collecting hobby to masses. Today everyone in every single corner of the world has the opportunity to buy anything - and demand is great. And yes, along with higher prices the increasing number of faker/fakes go hand in hand.

True- but also with the advent of the internet came....information.

Imperial used to be a bit of a back water. The Rick R. started to write really interesting stuff on chat boards and boom-prices went up, up up. I thank God I got my Turkish stuff when i did (when it was still obscure). I have carefully noted records of the how Gallipoli stars shot up in price over ONE year from $35 to $100 after RR did his "Brigade Pasha" post at the WAF. THEN came his Tamara posts .....and I was too late for those.

Same thing for Saxon St. Henrys' medals. Oh to go back and buy a nice second class St. Henrys' medal for $50!

Similar things have happened to other areas of collecting (I will NEVER again see another Communist Hungarian partisan star- below $100 I reckon)once information became available.

Remember the good old days-@ 10 years ago of Mongolian Orders.

Oh- sob-sob.... :banger::speechless:

Now I note that French campaign medals are picking up....... :banger: