News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gigantic German What ?

I haven't seen this yet - but I'm not a WW2 Wehrmacht artillery expert. But it definitely looks to be about 42cm, which might make the Krups Big Bertha a suspect - however, those were developed at the beginning of WW1 and I don't believe they made it to the Second War. It also doesn't appear like the Big Bertha's I've seen in photos. Of course, it could be a modified version of a 42cm super howitzer developed later.

post-5961-012248500 1290178962_thumb.jpg

Edited by IrishGunner

Hmm, strange one this, I´ve looked for Soviet ones but the biggest Mortar was 240 mm and it dosnt look a bit like the pic

But I agree that it seems to be at the Eastern front , but what in heavens name is it :unsure:

I found another candidate ! 38 cm schwerer Ladungswerfer This gun does not exist today what I can find and I haven´t found any pic of it yet ....

maybe ?

Christer

Edited by christerd

I found another candidate ! 38 cm schwerer Ladungswerfer This gun does not exist today what I can find and I haven´t found any pic of it yet ....

maybe ?

I wondered about this one too... Isn't this an engineer weapon? Can anyone ID if the uniforms are gunners or pioneers?

My spider-senses are saying though that this is something Soviet...

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Andy ! That was two new candidates :cheers:

best regards christer

Andy's suggestion of a 42cm in Post #13 is actually a second vote for my guess in Post #6 of a 42cm; and after seeing Andy's pictures from WW2, I'm now even more convinced this is a modified version of the 42cm Gamma.

Andy's suggestion of a 42cm in Post #13 is actually a second vote for my guess in Post #6 of a 42cm; and after seeing Andy's pictures from WW2, I'm now even more convinced this is a modified version of the 42cm Gamma.

I agree with you, but in the book I read, I´ve found, that the only one gun was placed in Meppen. Not sure, if there were built more than one, and if yes, if they were sent to the eastern front

I agree with you, but in the book I read, I´ve found, that the only one gun was placed in Meppen. Not sure, if there were built more than one, and if yes, if they were sent to the eastern front

Given the proclivity to re-cycle old war material and improvise by the Germans, it makes logical sense for there to be more than just one. But like many improvisations, they might not have been well documented. Chris's photo could be the only evidence of this "other" gun.

Great discussion though - detective missions are always fun! And in the search, other things are always learned.

Well, to make it more confusely, I read, the germans had another foreign gun in use. The austrian "42cm M16 Autohaubitze".

This was was built 1916 and 1917, but stil in use by german troops in 39-45!

Photo taken from Franz Kosar (Artillerie im 20. Jahrhundert)

post-6460-028661700 1292138452_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Prussian

• 2 months later...