News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pz.Pi.Btl Grossdeutschland Grouping

This is a more recent addition to the collection then the Pz.Rgt GD Officers citation grouping and one of my favourite acquisitions of the year. The grouping consists of 4 citations, a wound tag, insignia and a handful of photos for a soldier who served as a Sturmboot Pionier in Infantry Rgt Grossdeutschland and stayed with that unit all through its various reorganisations, eventually being evacuated from the East in April 1945 as a member of Pz.Pi.Btl GD due to injury.

I was thrilled to get this set as the EK II citation bears the very rarely seen signature of Grossdeutschland's first official commander - Oberst/Generalmajor Wilhelm-Hunald von Stockhausen.

post-5995-040156400 1290894189_thumb.jpg

Next up we have his Wound Badge In Black citation signed by Oberstleutnant Foellmer of GD's Replacement Btl organisation. He was originally the commanding officer of Infantry Ers.Btl 99 (mot.) in 1940 that acted as a replacement unit for GD before & during the French Campaign in 1940 and was eventually absorbed into Grossdeutschland.

post-5995-059539900 1290894527_thumb.jpg

And the wound tag that saw Guenter Teifke evacuated away from the fighting in the East and escape Russian captivity, or death, in the final battles in East Prussia.

Very nice and interesting group!

His Inury

contusio cerebri (bruising of the brain tissue) durch Verschüttung

He received a traumatic brain injury caused by him being buried in a cave-in.

Edited by Naxos

Very nice and interesting group!

His Inury

contusio cerebri (bruising of the brain tissue) durch Verschüttung

He received a traumatic brain injury caused by him being buried in a cave-in.

Thank you for translating that. His luck might not of been so good after all!

Another great document grouping! I wonder what year he joined the service. It is nice to see that he made Feldwebel!

He was born in February 1918 - was Unteroffizer in 1941 - the number on the ID tag is rather low (Pi.Ers.Batl.2 was created in summer 1939)

I think he must have joined the combat engineers in the fall of 1939 (after a civilian apprenticeship or service in the Reichsarbeitsdienst)

Edited by Naxos

That stinks... he made it through the entire war to be permanently disabled in the final days. I hope that he was able to pursue a decent life afterwards.By the look in his final photo, he received either the WB in Silver or Gold.