News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 60
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony, no, thats an information I search too. ;)

The canteen came together with a privately purchased map pouch and other stuff, which belonged to a Vizewachtmeister and maybe artillery observer of FAR 95, so I think this stuff is WW1 period. I also got his Feldartillerie-Tabellenbuch with shooting tables etc. A really scientific task, to make these guns hit...

Guys,

Just from what I have seen, the M07 and M93 canteens came with a felt cover. Changes did not start being made until the shortages of early 1915. It was during this time that they started making the M07 screw cap canteen out of steel instead of aluminum. By late 1915 the pattern of issue had changed back to a variation of the M93 with the cork stopper, the so-called M1915. They were made first from tinned steel and then from enameled steel. Various materials were used to cover these canteens, as well as some of the other patterns (the medic's Labeflasche, for instance). I have seen wool, cotton canvas, papercloth and corduroy covers.

Chip

Edited by Chip

• 6 years later...
    • 1 year later...

Thanks, Chris. I only 'processed' the "17." marking as a late war manufacture date after I made the post. I wondered about the covers too - did some come without, late war, or did it get so ratty somebody stripped it off and threw it away.

This pievce came with an aluminum mess kit: cover/plate/fry pan + two pots/bowls + a two piece pierced wind screen and post support and a handle for the pots and can of solid fuel. I flet much better about breakimng the leather strap holding it all together once I established that it was Boy Scout - and not military! :blush:

• 2 months later...

Gents

Recent addition bought locally I've not seen this large steel pattern before, flask marked W.M.F.15 Chip was kind enough to inform me, Württembergisches Metallwaren Fabrik.

Eric

For all of you that have wanted an mint condition Ersatz canteen with maker marked papercloth cover, there is a guy from the Czech Republic (no, not the repro guys) selling them on the WAF. They are 100% good and they found a warehouse with nearly 100 of these 1918 dated canteens. So far, they have only found one glass version in all of that. All the rest are steel. Anyway, it's one of those deals were he has a lot now, but they will be gone quickly as he told me that some dealers are buying 10 to 20 of them. There are plenty of good photos. Check it out.

Chip

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jock hope you are well yes its a strange puppy I doubt the felt cover is correct though I thought maybe its an artillery canteen until Chip posted his.... rats!!

Cheers