News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

:speechless1: Wow! How about that! :jumping:

I would never have guessed... a Red Eagle no less.

Thank you Mike. :cheers:

There is probably nothing that is not there. Unfortunately I have no picture of a carrier of HOH4A but I firmly believe that these orders were often worn on a bow.

Greetings Mike

Hello:

An interesting topic indeed. If is often forgotten also that Hussar's uniforms had no buttonholes (only loops for the toggle buttons). Therefore on finds EKII crosses on bow-type ribbons (for Hussars) although there were no female recipients of this award 1914-1918. I have seen photos which confirm this.

Best regards

Edited by Schießplatzmeister

Unfortunately I have no picture of a carrier of HOH4A but I firmly believe that these orders were often worn on a bow.

I think the same, and have one. The typical men who wore an award on a bow were civilians who had no other awards. Though, not saying it was typically.

Regarding the "Adler der Inhaber" to ladys:

If I remember correctely, I read twice there were no such awards. One article was by Willi Geile, as a result of his work on the Deutsche Ordens-Almanach, punlished in an old OMM (Orden-Militaria-Magazin). While I totally agree ladys did not get the eagles, I do not agree we can draw this conclusion from the DOA. If there have had been three, ten, or even 100 ladys who got it, and these are not listed there, they would disappear. Never such a conclusion from DOA!

More convenient is a remark by Dr. Sauerwald in BDOS-Jahrbuch 2005, page 32, in a article about the house order of Hohenzollern, which states:

"Frauen waren, wie wir detailliert aus dem Aufsatz von Henning wissen, von einer derartigen Auszeichnung noch ausgeschlossen, wenn es auch schon entsprechende offizielle Überlegungen und Vorstöße in dieser Richtung gab, die jedoch nur allzu oft an der letztlich ablehnenden konservativen Haltung des Königs, hier Wilhelm II. von Preußen, scheiterten."

I wish I could translate this literatlly. There is a work by Henning (Sauerwald missed to give the correct source) that shows that women in Prussia were not dignified for the decorations men would receive. While there were some (not unimportant) people that thought one could change this (probably especially for those women that were doing same jobs as their male counterparts, e.g. teachters), Wilhelm II. did not want a change - so there was none, and no women got the Hohenzollern eagle.