News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

New Reichsbahn Visor !

uh...

i think it was al gore.

dan quayle couldn't spell internet.

joe

Thanks Joe ...I stand corrected :blush: wasn't Quayle the one who moved to Idaho ?

I always mix those Politicians up ..guess I don't pay as much attention to them as I should

Edited by Mike

Guest Rick Research

I think the reason there's no reference book on Reichsbahn yet is that they changed uniforms so often even they couldn't keep up at the time! :speechless1:

The big chunky eagle is correct certainly by mid-war. By an amazing coincidence, here are a couple of August 1943 photos of Reichbahn Direktion Paris personnel. Your tunic wearer would have known these guys! Note the same cap insignia-- and the freaky U.S. Civil War "fore and aft" shoulder rectangles. I always think of the Burt Lancaster movie "The Train" looking at this happy (even the guy in back with the newly broken nose) bunch of railways "colleagues."

"Father Mulcahy" there in the center back behind the Biggest Cheese above, down below back in July 1940 at Versailles wearing a "Deutsche Wehrmacht" armband and cap then with scrawny eagle and cockade-only, the old Weimar style tabs, and new "Major" level boards:

No names, unfortunately, since I have a 1934 Reichsbahn "Rank List" of "officer" level personnel.

I think the reason there's no reference book on Reichsbahn yet is that they changed uniforms so often even they couldn't keep up at the time! :speechless1:

Rick this is great ! Nice Pictures ...and what a relief seeing that small style Eagle used on the last Visor. I wonder why he's only wearing the Army Service armband without the "HVD Paris" sleeve Eagle. I can see you're right though...they must have been really easy going when it came to the regs.

Thanks for those shots :jumping:

• 3 years later...

Great displays. The red tops are conductors hats. The hat is very beautiful but there are a few things to keep in mind. They were rarely (some think never)issued with chin straps. These were added later, sometimes by the wearers, often by dealers and collectors that assummed they were missing. Having a chin strap does not make it incorrect. If the the large wing device was originally on there it is a rare variant. It's possible this was added later also. You might want to look closely at the prongs and see if there are differences in patina, etc. It is also very rare to see the large wing device with much gold wash remaining. Don't misunderstand this post, I love the hat but don't want others to read this while looking at a similar hat and think there are missing pieces.

The photos are great. The tall smiling dude(Chuckles) has collar tabs for pay groups 5 and up. His shoulder devices are called passanten. I beleive they were introduced in 41 made mandatory in 43 but few ever made the change. That's why you almost never see passanten for sale. Someone earlier said there were several changes in RB uniform regs, etc and there are no Reichsbahn books. Actually there are a couple of reference books. They are only available in German. "Chuckle's" passanten are for pay group 2 Reichsbahnoberrat.

In the group photo the white summer tunic also appears to be PG2 and the guy right behind "Chuckles" is also high pay grade. This might have been a big meeting of regional directors. In the close up both guys facing "chuckles appear to have gold trimmed hats, another indicator of pay group 5 and up. Everything would be identicle on the visor except for red piping to indicat pay groups 7 & 6. The guy with his back to us has gold passanten also, can't tell if there are any rosettes(flower shaped pips used by RB from 41 on) so he is also 5 and up. The guy behind and to the right of "Chuckles" has the closed neck tunic with pay group 5/up tabs. Intersting group of pics, thanks for posting.

Guest Rick Research

They are actually tiny little "Box Brownie" snaps, so it's the best I can do with the original prints. Sure looks like life was tough in occupied Paris 15 July 1943....

Wish there were names, since the 1934 "Rank List" I have for the Reichsbahn gives first names, date of birth, and career promotion dates with assignments in most cases.

It almost looks like he has bullion insignia. I forgot to mention the cap eagle, I think there is a diminsional difference between postal and rail eagles, but it is not unusual to see political eagles(face right from our perspective) on RB visors. There are a few pics that show this. Probably because visor retailors didn't stock or want to stock an addition part or who knows.