News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Persia - Order of the Lion and the Sun

And to top it off this extra rare and beautiful 1st class (military division with red rays) set from Lemaitre, Paris.

Overview

This Lemaitre made set is one of my favorite sets as well. Incredible workmanship and very unique! That oversized medallion on the 2nd class badge is just a killer. Some one got very lucky being able to buy this badge set and at $3000 US, quite a bargain! Thanks for posting all these latest gems!

Markus

Edited by Markus

Here is a VERY RARE maker for the Lion and Sun order. CF Carlman, a Swedish order maker founded in 1855. CF Carlman is famous for making high quality Swedish and Norwegian orders. This medal was sold in a Swedish auction. The only time I have seen this maker for Lion and Sun. The Swedish were very involved in providing police officers and training to Persian in the Qajar era.

Edited by Markus

Now here is a Russian made jeweled lion and sun made with paste stones that didn't break the bank when it was sold in a Swedish auction house. Sold for 4200 KR or about $618 US. This is closer to what these type orders should sell for! :love:

This is a 2nd class breast star by Austrian maker C.F. Rothe in Vienna Austria. The firm was founded in 1830 by Christian Friedrich Rothe. Rothe has long been the most noted jeweler in Europe and made insignia for many countries around the world. In addition to making all the Austro-Hungarian orders and all the German States, Rothe made orders for the following countries: Tunisian Nichan Iftikhar, Chinese Double Dragon, Persian Lion and Sun, Papal St. Gregory, Swedish Vasa, Turkish Osmanie, Netherlands Lion, Montengrin Danilo, Italian Crown, the Spanish order of Charles III and many others.

The silver work on this medal is exceptional. I am guessing that the painting on the enamel was silk screen printed onto the enamel since the consistency of the paintings from one medal to the next doesn't vary.

Here is an image of a Qajar jewelry piece resembling the Insignia found on the Persian hats specifically posted for our good friend Mitya, courtesy of Babar. Yet another variation of this iconic image.

:P

This is a 2nd class breast star by Austrian maker C.F. Rothe in Vienna Austria.

Another great buy!

Congrats!

Here is an image of a Qajar jewelry piece resembling the Insignia found on the Persian hats specifically posted for our good friend Mitya, courtesy of Babar. Yet another variation of this iconic image.

Cool piece! Thanks for posting mate!

Cheers,

Nick

Congratulations on the acquisitions!

The Wolfers lion would be my personal favourite as the most regal looking depiction of all the makers. Superb craftmanship from one of the finest European houses.

The green enameled rays are in perfect condition too.

Edited by drclaw