News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Persia - Order of the Lion and the Sun

The Halley makers plate on both the 1st class breast star and the sash badge.

Really like this plate (same plate on reverse of the sash badge?)

Amazing similarity in enamel work!

Superb specimens in excellent condition!

Congrats! :beer:

Regards,

Nick

P.S. Big spender you are! ;)

Really like this plate (same plate on reverse of the sash badge?)

Amazing similarity in enamel work!

Superb specimens in excellent condition!

Congrats! :beer:

Regards,

Nick

P.S. Big spender you are! ;)

Thanks Nick! Yes the breast star has the same makers plate. My wallet is still bleeding! :o

Here is a beautiful jeweled Lion and Sun medal currently up for auction on the Bene Merenti Medals Auction.

"Persia

Sun- and Lion Order for civil person and foreigners 1. class sash badge.

Silver the arms with a jour set strass-stones 179 white and 20 green ones medallion with fine enamel work high vaulted ring closed on ready to wear sash.

VPI2 S. 124. 79 x 83 mm584 g.

Piece of best quality and great appearance. Without any hallmarks. The piece in lot no. 737 of the collection Professor Tammann that got auctioned by UBS in November 2008 was of similar production as it was also quiet large and had no markings. But it was possible to get it assigned to the company Arndt Paris / St. Petersburg. Most likely of around 1880 where the goldsmith master Samuel Samuilovich Arndt (1812-1890) was company leader."

• Estimate €5,000 - €10,000 + 24% commission
    • Starting Bid €5,000

( It is interesting to note than the Tammann piece #737 in auction 80-UBS went for 6,250 Swiss Francs or about $6834 US. The Tammann piece was a 2nd class Breast star covered with paste stones as well.)

http://www.liveaucti...ersonen-und-aus</p>

Edited by Markus

An interesting 4th class badge with components missing with a beautiful Lion and Sun painting. Has a few broken tips repaired poorly. I have seen a few of these early pieces with what appears to be resin applied rays giving them a rather primitive finish.

... Silver the arms with a jour set strass-stones 179 white and 20 green one...

At last!

Auction house that give it to you straight - STRASS-stones!

Others harp on the same tune: diamonds of the first water, huge emeralds ...

Dive in, everybody! :lol:

This clumsy, nouveau riche type lion and sun sash badge has amazing enamel work!

Cheers,

Nick

Here is a beautiful jeweled Lion and Sun medal currently up for auction on the Bene Merenti Medals Auction. a close up of the front.

I wonder why the sun has no male/female face associated with it!!!! Does the sash looks like a replacement and not an original one?

I wonder why the sun has no male/female face associated with it!!!! Does the sash looks like a replacement and not an original one?

The Russian made medals seem to have a simpler depiction of the sun without a lot of facial details. The sash looks pretty new to me!

I wonder why the sun has no male/female face associated with it!!!!

Not that unusual practice for small private European workshops (for another example see post # I29 ;))

Does the sash looks like a replacement and not an original one?

Instead of rosette we have something that looks like tie knot :)

And of course strange looking brand new moire for 130+ years old unboxed (!) specimen ;)

Cheers,

Nick